Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New "white" and unknown material building up on the pool wall.

1. Back To Top    #1

New "white" and unknown material building up on the pool wall.

Hello all!

My pool CYA level last year was close to 120. Now it is close to 80.

I am happy because my pool for a week or so is very clear. The secret? Maybe because I am trying very hard to balance the water or because I decided to run the variable pump longer. And of course, all the reading from this forum. I learned a lot. Thank you.

At night I run the pump close to six hours (slow flow just for some minimal circulation). During the daytime is running at full power for 5 hours.

I noticed for the first time ever something “building” on the side of the tile pool that look like it is white and solid. It is hard to the touch and with my fingernail I manage to eliminate one. There two more.

I am really concern. I hope is not calcium.

My PH was close to 8 for a while. Maybe because the chlorine is on the high side.

Here is my data as of today with the Taylor k-2006C

FC 9

CC 0

PH 7.6

TA 90

CH 250

CYA 80

The water balance calculator that came with the test kit gave a result of 0.5 in case this is relevant.

What do you think is wrong with this picture. Maybe that “thing” (I don’t really know what it is) is building up because the PH was high for sometime?

What do you think about this?

thank you very much in advance!

15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New "white" and unknown material building up on the pool wall.

Is it right at the waterline? Or is it along the grout lines?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it is vertical, oops, make that horizontal, along the waterline tile then it is calcium. I had some of that about 3 years ago. Keep your CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.2, and it will go away and stay away. Manage your PH first and TA second.

Enter your test results in Poolmath and it will give you a CSI score. You can tweak PH and TA and see what the number does. Be sure to enter your water temp, it makes a difference

More here
    Pool School - Calcium Scaling

and here
    Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    If it is vertical along the waterline tile then it is calcium.
    Put that beer down Pooldv! I'm pretty sure you meant to say "horizontal".....yes??
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    What's wrong with drinkin and postin?
    Hahaha!!!!! Loves!

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay, ya'll got me! We can go with horizontal! Vertical would likely be efflorescence.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Hello:

Thank all for responding to my message.

It is not at the waterline. It is like 2 ft down into the water. My pool does not have grout lines. I don't know the kind of pool we have. (I know, shame on me). Maybe concrete?

I will try to keep my CSI close to the recommended here.

I hope it is nothing that bad that I need to worry about the internal pipes or equipment. So far only two. What do you think my chemical readings? Are they ok or not. Slowly I am lowering the CYA level. Still working on that.

Thank you again and have a good day.

Trevor

IMG_1654_22.jpg
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Your test numbers in post #1 were fine. Water looks great.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, you need to know what type of pool you have because there are a few chemistry needs that differ between vinyl, fiberglass and plaster.

Are your tiles real or printed? What does the white surface feel like-super smooth or a little rough?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Your test numbers in post #1 were fine. Water looks great.
    Thank you. Yes, it is clear. There is a small area where the algae grow if I don't brush like twice a week. I am pretty sure the reason may be bad water circulation.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Ok, you need to know what type of pool you have because there are a few chemistry needs that differ between vinyl, fiberglass and plaster.

Are your tiles real or printed? What does the white surface feel like-super smooth or a little rough?
    The top blue tiles you see on the picture are real. The white surface is just a little rough.

Thank you for replying.

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like a plaster pool to me. You know sometimes these vinyl lined pools can look so realistic one never knows?

Your pool looks great. The birdcages are a wonder, I just wish they were more common elsewhere too.

Your CYA is high for a Non-SWG pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Sounds like a plaster pool to me. You know sometimes these vinyl lined pools can look so realistic one never knows?

Your pool looks great. The birdcages are a wonder, I just wish they were more common elsewhere too.

Your CYA is high for a Non-SWG pool.
    Thank you. Last November the CYA was 120. I will do my best now. Rainy season in Florida is already here. I need to replace some of the water so the CYA will get better.

Thank you your help and opinion.

Have a good day