Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2nd year using TFP have balancing question

1. Back To Top    #1

2nd year using TFP have balancing question

Hi all
    I have had a very successful year with balancing my pool using TFP! Now it is spring and after all the rain
    here in California I have some issues.
    My pH runs high always 7.8-8 and I usually have success lowering it with a cup or 2 of Muriatic acid.
    The Alk is usually steady at 100-120 but is now 90. So question
    Should I add Baking Soda to bring Alk up and then balance pH after?
    Is this small enough not to worry?
    Thanks
    Shannon
    I have a free form in ground 20,000 gallon pool. Pebble Tec, Jandy variable pump with ultra violet technology and chlorine tab.
    Installed Sept. 2014. No overhead tree's but we do have Oak Tree (fuzz) bloom that can be pretty bad in the spring.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2nd year using TFP have balancing question

Congrats on a good year with your pool! No, don't raise your TA. Let it keep dropping from your acid additions. Higher TA will contribute to PH rise. It is OK to let your TA drop to 70 or even 60 if that is where it ends up and your PH stabilizes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. You want to lower TA, not raise it. That will help you with your pH issues. See this: Pool School - Recommended Levels

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, be careful using those chlorine tabs. They will cause your CYA to skyrocket. How do you test your pool water chemistry?

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much, glad I asked!
    Shannon

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Thankyou
    I have a free form in ground 20,000 gallon pool. Pebble Tec, Jandy variable pump with ultra violet technology and chlorine tab.
    Installed Sept. 2014. No overhead tree's but we do have Oak Tree (fuzz) bloom that can be pretty bad in the spring.