Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newby with black algae needs help with SLAM process and test results

1. Back To Top    #1

Newby with black algae needs help with SLAM process and test results

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new pool owner that is excited to find this resource. I have about a 30,000 gallon pool with a saltwater chlorine generator.

The water appears clear, but definitely has scattered small black spots that smear green on the bottom.

A couple of days ago, I just tried adding 6 lbs of shock without doing testing and did some brushing but am not sure how I should proceed from here. There are still some visible algae spots.

I just purchased a test kit and these were some of the results most recently after I tried shocking.

ph 7.8-8
    FC 1.5
    CC 0.5
    CYA 0 (is this often seen, or is this a problem?) With my test kit, the reaction was completely clear.
    TA 125

I have at home muriatic acid as well as 1 lb packs of 68% calcium hypochlorite.

I've been looking at the SLAM and algae pages, but was wondering how I should approach things now more carefully. Should I just try to correct the pH at this point, then try and shock again. Should I stop using the calcium hypochlorite and go to liquid bleach? Should I try to address the CYA of 0? What should my FC target be if CYA is 0?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newby with black algae needs help with SLAM process and test results

After reading up some more, I'm thinking of

i. buying some solid stabilizer and bring CYA up to 30 or so putting it in the filter baskets in socks.
    ii. let it sit for about a week or so, and then adjust pH as necessary with the muriatic acid
    iii. then brush and SLAM as suggested by the calculators with the calcium hypochlorite that I already have

does this seem reasonable?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skarim View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a new pool owner that is excited to find this resource. I have about a 30,000 gallon pool with a saltwater chlorine generator.

The water appears clear, but definitely has scattered small black spots that smear green on the bottom.

A couple of days ago, I just tried adding 6 lbs of shock without doing testing and did some brushing but am not sure how I should proceed from here. There are still some visible algae spots.

I just purchased a test kit and these were some of the results most recently after I tried shocking.

ph 7.8-8
    FC 1.5
    CC 0.5
    CYA 0 (is this often seen, or is this a problem?) With my test kit, the reaction was completely clear.
    TA 125

I have at home muriatic acid as well as 1 lb packs of 68% calcium hypochlorite.

I've been looking at the SLAM and algae pages, but was wondering how I should approach things now more carefully. Should I just try to correct the pH at this point, then try and shock again. Should I stop using the calcium hypochlorite and go to liquid bleach? Should I try to address the CYA of 0? What should my FC target be if CYA is 0?

Thanks

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Step 1
    Add muriatic acid to lower your PH to 7.2

Step 2
    Put 30 ppm CYA granules in a sock and hang it in front of a pool return, squeeze it a couple or more times a day to dissolve it quicker

Step 3
    Start your SLAM right away, assume CYA level of 30 ppm and chlorinate accordingly, Chlorine CYA Chart

Follow the SLAM instructions, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You can use cal-hypo IF you know what your CH level is and that adding CH to your pool is OK. Otherwise, use plain, generic, store brand concentrated 8.25% bleach. No scents, no splashless, no easy pour. I get mine at Kroger, anywhere is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Easy one for me! What they said LOL!

Your pool will look better than it has ever looked before using the TFP ways.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit