Remodel in SoFla

Feb 22, 2013
Hello,

We plan to embark on a remodel of our 15 x 30 ~15k gallon in-ground money pit soon. There are a couple really annoying issues with it that I'd like to have permanently fixed in the process:

The pool screen "cage" has 3 different sections of super gutter, all of which leak, one of which is too small to be anything but a leaf catcher.

A leak was diagnosed in the skimmer line that I've patched so we are not losing water anymore, but the skimmer vacuum is near useless because there is so much air in the system.

The kool deck is cracked, pools water in many spots, and generally looks terrible.

The pool also needs to be resurfaced, we had this done 15yrs ago but it developed leprosy recently.

So, in order of priority, we need the following done but have questions about it:

Pool rescreening / super gutter:
Would I be better off to just have the not-so-super gutter removed completely before the rescreen? All it does is provide a waterfall effect on the deck. Leaves will accumulate where it meets the facia board, however.

Pool resurfacing: The crumbling liner is 'diamond brite'. Will we get more than 15yrs out of a more expensive material (pebbles) ?

Skimmer issue: The leak was detected in the concete around the skimmer and somewhere in the line. I dug a big hole and got to the underside, liberally applying water epoxy to the joints. Patched around the skimmer itself. No more falling water line. Since there's still too much air to keep the pool cleaner going though, would it be prudent to replace the skimmer and line all the way up to the filter? The leaf situation is so bad I'm tempted to buy a robot!

Deck: We like the looks of the pavers and have seen that 1" pavers can be put on top of our existing deck. I think the coping will have to be replaced also to accommodate the pavers. Will this end the drainage issues that cause all the mold and algea? I think I need to have this done before the screening, as the paver border goes under (does it?) the screen frame that's bolted to the slab.

Other things we need to decide on but are not a priority:

salt water system: not certain it's worth the cost
wood burning fire pit in deck area

If you've read this far I thank you! We always like to educate ourselves before getting quotes so we can make the best choices.

Jim & Amy in Ft. Lauderdale area

Congrats on the remodel!

I think salt is totally worth it. I won't have another pool without it.

Yes, a more expensive finish will last longer, with proper maintenance of water chemistry, PH, TA and CH. Quartz will last 15+ years and Pebbletec/sheen will last 25+ years.

Robots are all the rage these days, everyone is getting them. Except me!

Yes, pavers can be laid on your deck. The outer row can be permanently set to the deck. I would talk to the contractor about any drainage or mold issues that exist.

I don't know much about screened enclosures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.