Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Possessed pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Possessed pump?

Hey guys I took a video and picture of my pool has anyone ever had this happen?https://vimeo.com/161851581uploadfromtaptalk1459982875549.jpghttps://vimeo.com/161851990 the picture is what the water looks like I guess it's a bunch of bubbles from where the pump is just going crazy

54 inch by 27 foot round above ground pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Possessed pump?

My hypothesis:

The pump created a vortex in the skimmer due to low water level. It then started sucking air. The air got trapped in the filter and got pressurized. Eventually, the pump lost prime and stopped pumping and all that compressed air pushed back.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK the fix just add water?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jrowe0311 View Post
    OK the fix just add water?

If my hypothesis is correct. When it's running, do you see a vortex in the skimmer?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes and I have been wondering if I should add water here soon or not what is the level that I should keep the water at in the pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Generally halfway up the skimmer opening. For sure high enough to not have a vortex.

7. Back To Top    #7

Haha OK thanks and it hadn't done this until today when I got home from work vortex and all so it scared me lol

8. Back To Top    #8

Do it again! That was fun! NOT! I bet you were scared!!!

Add and keep your water at the halfway mark on the skimmer. I use one of my screws as my mark.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

FYI yes as soon as I filled up the pool it stopped by the way the water is crystal clear now woohoo!!!!!