Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Above Ground Pool Deck Build

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Pool Deck Build

Attachment 46302

Phase one of deck build. So excited!
    24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above Ground Pool Deck Build

You oughta be! That is gonna be great!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Above Ground Pool Deck Build

I can smell the cut lumber from here! Great smell with lots of memories. Looks great! Gonna be a nice summer I'm sure.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Attachment 46309

Railings went up today - and sooo I started thinking I don't like the placement of the steps. I think centering the steps would look much better. Would love any input as to which placement would be best.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to long summer days!
    24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    I can smell the cut lumber from here! Great smell with lots of memories. Looks great! Gonna be a nice summer I'm sure.
    That's one of the first things I said when the lumbar arrived - it smells so good! I'm a candlemaker and am thinking of creating a new wood scent!

6. Back To Top    #6

Looking good! I think I might put them to the left against the pool. Then you can have chairs and chaise lounges to the right not getting disturbed by people going up the stairs and jumping in the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Where is the house in all of this?

When you say centered do you mean on that end or the center of the long edge? Where are the steps into the pool?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

wait are you saying the steps into the pool? I am all mixed up LOL sorry!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Where is the house in all of this?

When you say centered do you mean on that end or the center of the long edge? Where are the steps into the pool?

Kim
    I was taking this picture from our back patio - I'll take another one from the other direction tomorrow when we have more day light.

By centered I am meaning the center of the deck when looking straight on the from the picture. Right now they were planning to put the steps all the way to the right (you can see the space where there is no railing) - when they put the rail up I just didn't like the way it looked and felt like I was looking at a bunch of railing and think centering it will help it look a bit nicer.

I think I will put the pool steps in center off the deck. I am going back and forth on that. ....... Decisions!!

Appreciate your input - Nichole

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks pooldv! I like how they look against the pool too - I have seen pictures of both and I lean towards the centered stairs. Phase two of the build to supposed to be a floating platform deck at the bottom of the stairs so it would be two tiered. Centering them or keeping them to right was more of a safety decision thinking that keeping the steps farther from the water would reduce the risk of a little one falling in. I'm driving my husband nutz! LOL I appreciate your tips!

10. Back To Top    #10

I say steps closest to pool so you can use that corner.....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

11. Back To Top    #11

Uh-oh! 2 against 1!

You are the boss though. Centered is good too.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Uh-oh! 2 against 1!

You are the boss though. Centered is good too.
    i have such a hard time visualizing! If we keep it the same - I suppose that frees up that space closest to the pool for a chair? If I center I would have 30" on each side. Thinking a small table or plant on the right side and think it would be dead space on left side. Deck dimensions are 10' w X 24' L. Doing 40" wide stairs.

13. Back To Top    #13

I vote for one side or the other. Centering the steps will create too much dead space on either side and although a plant or two may work, room for a bench or two chairs next to each other will be better. A bench made out of leftover lumber would provide great storage for pool toys, etc. and extra seating is always welcome. And kids would never, ever try to jump off the bench into the pool. You could flip stair placement based on that concern to encourage or discourage jumping off.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Pool Tool! Have to decide by sat - we are having crummy weather here in Ohio so no work for next couple of days.

- - - Updated - - -

On a very positive note - non deck related .....we had major wind cause our cover cable to break so cover went in the pool. When we went to fish it out we got a good look at the water and we were very excited to see that it was pretty clear. I could still smell the chlorine!! There were just some leaves - but very very pleased with TFP method! Now if only it would start warming here in Ohio!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Good news!

Speaking of being in OH, add that to your location over there <----, it will help us give you better pool advice if we know what climate your pool is in. Click SETTINGS upper right then EDIT PROFILE lower left. Don't forget to click save at the bottom after updating.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Nice deck! Man it has been windy and cold here, one weekend near 80 degrees and might have snow tonight. Ugg
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Good news!

Speaking of being in OH, add that to your location over there <----, it will help us give you better pool advice if we know what climate your pool is in. Click SETTINGS upper right then EDIT PROFILE lower left. Don't forget to click save at the bottom after updating.
    Good idea! Don't know what I would have done without this forum last year!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by banditig View Post
    Nice deck! Man it has been windy and cold here, one weekend near 80 degrees and might have snow tonight. Ugg
    we are east of cincy - expecting flurries Friday and Saturday --- boooo. I bet Columbus is a bit cooler than us. Hopefully it means a nice warm summer. Our August last year was so mild - it was too chilly in the pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

You could do that whole side in stairs check out mine.. I will have to take one completely finished, I thought I had one..

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

19. Back To Top    #19

I really LOVE That! Can't wait to see the finished!! We were thinking of that in our original plans but started getting costly with our second tier ideas. Great job!!!

Also admiring your fencing! Did you do that yourself? It looks so nice!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Love your deck so far! Uummm, the smell of fresh cut lumber...like the smell of freshly mowed grass- love it!
    Are you going to put up lights on/around your deck?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast