Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning the salt cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning the salt cell

I have a CircuPool salt water generator. The panel tells me to "Check Cell". How do I clean the cell?

2. Back To Top    #2

Cleaning the salt cell

Normally the cell is attached to your PVC pipes using standard screw-in unions. You remove the cell and use a dilute muriatic acid solution (5:1 water:acid) to clean any calcium deposits off the cell plates.

Your users manual should have the correct cleaning procedure printed in it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cleaning the salt cell

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup, what Matt said. I would add, you going to want to get a cap that screws on to one end of the salt cell. Fill the cell with the water acid mixture and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes.
    25K gal saltwater gunite and Pebble Tech plus built in spa. Features-Weeping rock wall, and fountains. All Pentair equipment. Main pump- Intelliflo 4/160. Feature pump- Intelliflo 2hp single speed. Aux cleaner pump-Pentair 1hp. DE filter, Pentair heater, Glacier GCP210 pool chiller.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've switched to using white vinegar since it's not as hard on the cell. It takes longer but I don't worry about damage.

BTW, in my case the salt number starts dropping, indicating that the cell is clogging. Keep your TA and PH in line and that will help.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Only clean the cell if it has white scale on the blades. You might try washing it off with a hose first to see if it comes clean. I've had this cell for a year now and I've never had to clean it with an acid solution.

Each time you use acid to clean the cell it removes a tiny bit of the coating on the cell blades. If the solution is too strong it will remove the coatings and shorten the life of the cell.

The check cell notification is only there to remind you to inspect the cell after a set amount of time.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process