CYA about 200, need help on draining pool

Gex, did you correct your CYA?

Not yet, I will attempt to drain some of the pool tomorrow, but have some questions

The following may work....
Turn all suction to main drain, then hook a hose to the spigot above the pump and run to selected drain location. Turn pump on and open spigot. Will take a long time that way too - and will need to be monitored to prevent pump running dry.

I'm not sure what that means "Turn all suction to main drain", I'm a clueless noob lol... EDIT. I'm watching some youtube videos to figure that out

So, to test this, I can just connect my garden hose to the spigot?

Correct me if Im wrong, but as proavia mentioned earlier, you can drain your pool from this pipe circled without renting or buying anything:
View attachment 46332

You could even remove the spigot to allow a higher water flow!!!!

Is it easy to remove the spigot and connect something like what Richard320 suggested and connect a hose with larger diameter fitting?
-----
-----
Also, this may call for a new thread but I'm going to have a variable speed pool pump put it to save on electric... will that affect the way the (knock-off) kreepy-krauly works?

Point the handle toward the main drain label and that will point OFF toward skimmer. This will make sure that when the water level gets below the skimmers it will still pull water from the drain. Yes, hook a hose to the spigot and open it up.

The beauty of a VS pump is that you can adjust the flow so that it is just right for your cleaner.

sorry about the late reply... i left about 2 feet of water in the pool in the shallow end and then refilled. good news is CYA is down to 80 now, and I'm keeping my chlorine levels at 7-12ppm

also, apparently i have a drain that's connected to the side of my house (as in, in the lower part of the outside wall)... it has a square (plastic) knob, not sure what tool i'd use to remove it

i may decide to drain the pool some more, but not sure if there will be any benefits.... as i understand it, chlorine evaporation will be higher with a lower CYA

sorry about the late reply... i left about 2 feet of water in the pool in the shallow end and then refilled. good news is CYA is down to 80 now, and I'm keeping my chlorine levels at 7-12ppm

also, apparently i have a drain that's connected to the side of my house (as in, in the lower part of the outside wall)... it has a square (plastic) knob, not sure what tool i'd use to remove it

i may decide to drain the pool some more, but not sure if there will be any benefits.... as i understand it, chlorine evaporation will be higher with a lower CYA
80 CYA is probably okay in Las Vegas, assuming the pool does not have algae.

The cleanout cap should come out easily with a big crescent wrench, some channellocks, or a pipe wrench. If it's a long run without much slope, the sewer pipe could be restricted some with sludge and debris, so running a few thousand gallons of pool water through it may help. My cleanout has that annoying configuration and all the stuff from the dishwasher and the garbage disposal end up in there. I had to throttle back the flow on my submersible pump with a pair of channel locks for a while until it flushed things clear and then I let 'er rip. So don't just stick the hose in there and walk away or you might find yucky drain water backwashing out.

80 CYA is probably okay in Las Vegas, assuming the pool does not have algae.

The cleanout cap should come out easily with a big crescent wrench, some channellocks, or a pipe wrench. If it's a long run without much slope, the sewer pipe could be restricted some with sludge and debris, so running a few thousand gallons of pool water through it may help. My cleanout has that annoying configuration and all the stuff from the dishwasher and the garbage disposal end up in there. I had to throttle back the flow on my submersible pump with a pair of channel locks for a while until it flushed things clear and then I let 'er rip. So don't just stick the hose in there and walk away or you might find yucky drain water backwashing out.

i'm fairly sure mine has the dishwasher and garbage disposal stuff going through it too since all of those are directly above on the top floor... i'll definitely monitor it if i drain some more

thanks for the tip on the tools

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.