Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA about 200, need help on draining pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA about 200, need help on draining pool

Hi, my CYA is about 200 based on the black dot test that I did and I want to drain my pool asap. Yes, I got "pool stored" by LPS and bought a bunch of 3" tabs, but I got them at Sam's club because they were much cheaper

That was 3 months ago, and I've been testing levels myself

I understand I shouldn't drain the entire pool, and to leave at least a foot in the shallow end. By my calculations, I need to drain 80% of the pool

I did see a blue hose coming out of a yard down the street to where I live, so I suppose that's what I have to do somehow

Attached is a pic of the pipes connected to my pool pump with the labels 'main drain', 'cleaner' and 'skimmer'.. .not sure what that all means and how to change the function

Is it best I just hire someone to drain the pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA about 200, need help on draining pool

Gex,

We really need a picture of your filter and any valves that might be attached. The type of valve/filter you have will make difference on what you will need to do.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Gex, welcome to TFP! As Jim noted, a pic of your filter will clue us in on how to best drain your water. Also, now would be a good time to please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Nice to have you join us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome, We will get you going
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Gex,

We really need a picture of your filter and any valves that might be attached. The type of valve/filter you have will make difference on what you will need to do.

Jim R.
    pictures of filter attached. i have an aqua pro, apf200pro
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

That looks like a cartridge filter which does not have a waste/backwash line. So you would either have to take the lid off the filter and run the pump suction from only the floor and flood your backyard, or you will need to buy/rent a submersible pump with hose and pump out the water to a more desired location.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

another pic of filter and pump

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That looks like a cartridge filter which does not have a waste/backwash line. So you would either have to take the lid off the filter and run the pump suction from only the floor and flood your backyard, or you will need to buy/rent a submersible pump with hose and pump out the water to a more desired location.
    thanks, i think i will just hire someone to do that, since i don't know exactly what tools i need to rent and the submersible pump sounds expensive

i'm guessing a pool guy would charge me $100 for a service like that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    in-ground pool approx 8-10,000 gallons. plaster i think.

9. Back To Top    #9

You can rent a pump with all the hose you want from Home Depot for around $40 I think. Or for a similar price, buy a smaller one from Harbor Freight, it will take a lot longer to drain though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

This IS something you can do yourself.......these guys will get you going.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The following may work....

Turn all suction to main drain, then hook a hose to the spigot above the pump and run to selected drain location. Turn pump on and open spigot. Will take a long time that way too - and will need to be monitored to prevent pump running dry.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

12. Back To Top    #12

I'd do as jbizzle mentioned and buy or rent an electric submersible pump and pump it to a safe location. Or do a combo submersible / the instructions proavia mentioned in the post above.
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

13. Back To Top    #13

You can rent a pump with all the hose you want from Home Depot for around $40 I think. Or for a similar price, buy a smaller one from Harbor Freight, it will take a lot longer to drain though.
    any specific submersible pump?

i see a 3/4 HP stainless steel on harbor freight for $60

and a 1/3 HP thermoplastic on amazon for $53, that can work with a 1-1/4" trash hose (costs as much as the pump)

i figure i should buy one since i can reuse it as often as needed
    in-ground pool approx 8-10,000 gallons. plaster i think.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

The 3/4 hp from harbor freight will do you just fine for as much as you will need it
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

15. Back To Top    #15

Correct me if Im wrong, but as proavia mentioned earlier, you can drain your pool from this pipe circled without renting or buying anything:
    pool filter 03.jpg

You could even remove the spigot to allow a higher water flow!!!!
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

That is true, since they can isolate the floor drain. If you stop the pump after draining some, you might lose prime.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bakerboy View Post
    Correct me if Im wrong, but as proavia mentioned earlier, you can drain your pool from this pipe circled without renting or buying anything:
    pool filter 03.jpg

You could even remove the spigot to allow a higher water flow!!!!
    Indeed. My thought is a quick trip to Lowes or Home Depot for a larger fitting and a backwash hose.
    Shop Aqua EZ Hose Adapter at Lowes.com
    Shop Aqua EZ Hose at Lowes.com
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Why not just put a hose or 2 on the pool and siphon it out? Easy and cheap.
    16k gal, IG, marcite, 3HP VSP Ecostar, 2HP Booster 2speed, 200 sqft cartridge, SWG, Caretaker IFC, Omnilogic, Solar, Taylor K2006, Born 3/16

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by XSurfX View Post
    Why not just put a hose or 2 on the pool and siphon it out? Easy and cheap.
    Great if you can. But, there is not typically land that is feet below water level near the pool to allow that to work for in ground pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Great if you can. But, there is not typically land that is feet below water level near the pool to allow that to work for in ground pools.
    I ghettovaccumed some sand yesterday, suction end was 7' below waste end. Water level-->bucket was maybe 12" difference.

My hose defies gravity. And can someone please make a pockethose (the shrinking kind) that doesn't self destruct?

Gex, did you correct your CYA?
    16k gal, IG, marcite, 3HP VSP Ecostar, 2HP Booster 2speed, 200 sqft cartridge, SWG, Caretaker IFC, Omnilogic, Solar, Taylor K2006, Born 3/16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast