Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I upgrade my Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Charleston, South Carolina

Should I upgrade my Filter?

I've been using a Pentair T100 sand filter since I built my pool 3 years ago without any problem what so ever. But....I've just been given a brand new Pentair 180007 FLT FNS Plus D.E. filter. I know D.E. Filters are "better" but I've had no complaints with my sand filter except a little algae problem now and again from not staying up on my testing. But my question is: Is it worth the plumbing headache of installing the D.E. Filter or should I put it on craigslist and stick with my sand filter?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Should I upgrade my Filter?

Ooooh. Lots of personal opinions on both sides of the DE/Sand filter fences. But me personally, if I knew my sand filter was doing just fine, sized properly, and having no mechanical issues, I'd probably leave it alone. The saying "DE filters are better", probably because of the slightly smaller micron filtering capability, may not be the best determining factor for everyone. DE owners know/expect what to do when it comes to periodic tear-down and cleaning of their system (grids, manifold(s), DE, etc), but you might have to ask yourself the same question.... is it worth it?

As for the plumbing ... they (both Pentair) may be the same size (diameter), although you can assume some PVC re-routing would be required.

But that's my 2-cents.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'm of the If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It school.

Why invite plumbing leaks that you don't have now?

You can make a sand filter work as well as a DE filter by adding a little DE to it.

Take the money you just saved by not buying a bunch of PVC fittings and the money you can make by selling that DE filter, and go buy something fun for yourself.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Yep, I'd stay with what you've got.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach