Should I upgrade my Filter?

I've been using a Pentair T100 sand filter since I built my pool 3 years ago without any problem what so ever. But....I've just been given a brand new Pentair 180007 FLT FNS Plus D.E. filter. I know D.E. Filters are "better" but I've had no complaints with my sand filter except a little algae problem now and again from not staying up on my testing. But my question is: Is it worth the plumbing headache of installing the D.E. Filter or should I put it on craigslist and stick with my sand filter?

Ooooh. Lots of personal opinions on both sides of the DE/Sand filter fences. But me personally, if I knew my sand filter was doing just fine, sized properly, and having no mechanical issues, I'd probably leave it alone. The saying "DE filters are better", probably because of the slightly smaller micron filtering capability, may not be the best determining factor for everyone. DE owners know/expect what to do when it comes to periodic tear-down and cleaning of their system (grids, manifold(s), DE, etc), but you might have to ask yourself the same question.... is it worth it?

As for the plumbing ... they (both Pentair) may be the same size (diameter), although you can assume some PVC re-routing would be required.

But that's my 2-cents. :)

I'm of the If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It school.

Why invite plumbing leaks that you don't have now?

You can make a sand filter work as well as a DE filter by adding a little DE to it.

Take the money you just saved by not buying a bunch of PVC fittings and the money you can make by selling that DE filter, and go buy something fun for yourself.

TwoCents.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.