Just bought a used Esther Williams 15x30 Carousel

As long as we get it set up before a 4th of July/ birthday party we'll be happy. When I get a clear forecast we'll do it. Whenever that is. It will be just that much sweeter once we get to use it. My sump pump is now running about every 4 minutes. It's cruel punishment as we peruse the isles at Sam's and Costco doing our shopping and walking past all the pool stuff out for sale. LOL!!

I didn't think its ever stop raining when I started mine. It was torture!

Not wanting to jinx things I've been mum about being optimistic looking at a forecast devoid of any rain chances or mentions. So I think I'll give it a shot next week. This will allow the ground to dry further and become more hot and humid out. Yea! On the bright side I asked my boss/friend who he knows who does dirt work. He has background in the construction industry and is very knowledgeable when it comes to that. He asked what I was doing and said he'd be happy to run the Bobcat I'd rent to level my site. I can run it but afraid my "level" area could include the word "butchered up". I probably won't save much $$ but I'll have the cat there 24 hours to move screenings and sand instead of the dirt guy being there only 2 hours (minimum charge-$125 per additional hours). Fingers crossed on weather. Of course my creaky knees decide this is the week to be very stiff and sore. Oh brother. Think they'll stop me? Hardly.

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7769.jpg

Somehow looking at the area to be leveled visually with flags and orange markings makes it look much larger than I envisioned in my mind. Yes, we helped tear down the pool from the previous owner but their yard/field was huge and made the pool somehow look smaller. No biggie. Just funny to me. After reserving a Bobcat the other day I called the quarry to order my screenings. I was told they are scheduling 2 weeks out. What? I was supposed to know two weeks ago when we were having a monsoon that next week would be sunny and I needed to order them then? Silly me. Luckily I was getting my masons sand from someone else and he thinks he can get my screenings out to me Wednesday sometime. The sand? Maybe Thursday. Nothing but a good time..................

Last edited:
Their trucking. My guy should get it out here Wednesday. Thursday at the latest. It'll happen this week. If I have to rent a large trailer to haul it and spend another day on the Bobcat rental it will happen. Luckily the quarry is only about 5 miles away out in the country! Once the base is done progress will be quick!

Good luck! I hate when things are out of my hands. The control freak in me goes absolutely crazy! Lol

PROGRESS!! YES!! FINALLY!! Yes I'm a bit excited. And tired. And proud. My fill material was delivered yesterday afternoon. 10 tons of screenings. 3 tons of sand. Somehow 10 tons of screenings doesn't make as big a pile as I envisioned.

IMG_4327.jpg

So far so good. This morning at 7:20 as I was about to leave to go to the rental yard to pick up the Bobcat I got a call from them. I appears the previous days renter has failed to return said Bobcat. They went to retrieve it. Previous renter is using it and won't get out of it. They say he'll be done with it at approx 8:00 and will get it to their facility to change the bucket. Fill with fuel. And get it checked in. About 8:45 it was ready and I headed over. All good. We go to hook up the trailer and discover the truck I borrowed from the car dealership I work at has a factory hitch which is bigger than the usual 2" receiver which is normal. I call a friend who manages our Dodge/Ram dealerships parts dept. He says there is an adapter usually found under the rear seat or by the jack and tools which adapts the 2 1/2" receiver down to 2". Cool! Lift up rear seat. Add-on sub woofer. Check. Adapter? Nada. Look under both front seats. Big amp. Check. Adapter. Nada. So I burn down to the local farm and ranch store Atwoods which I know has a good selection of hitch and trailer items. Woo hoo! An adapter!! $20.00? I gleefully pay for a item I woke up today not knowing I needed but managed to find. By 9:30 I'm on the road! Finally. 2 hours late. A honking headache trying to come on as my type A personality planned and got up early to get my day started before the heat of the day came on. I remind myself of all the rainy days I sat glumly looking out the window like the picturesque child perched on a window sill elbows apart and his chin resting on his hands as he sadly looks up at the evil clouds. I'm blessed. And spoiled. Pass a church and it's sign says something to the effect of "Spend more time counting your blessings instead of your complaints." I look in rear view mirror to see if God has tattooed any other "helpful" advice I might need to remember today. LOL. So I arrive energized to work from my new found gratitude! And from the stout coffee and Monster I consumed on the way down.

IMG_4326.jpg

So in short order my boss, my friend arrives and we get to work. I get a bunch of gratitude having a friend who will come over and do this for me! And did I mention he's my boss at a car dealership? Not a construction firm or a builder. He used to build churches all over the country for a local person. He just got tired of being gone a lot. This guy knows his stuff. It shows time and time again. A quick adjustment to the layout and dirt movement begins.

IMG_4329.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

And this is a shot when he just finished or was in the process of finishing step 1. Digging and scraping dirt is not an exact science. It's about like cutting a table leg out wit a chainsaw
and it still require time on a lathe and much sanding. This ground has been worked before as the difference in loam and clay was present. (Along with a few "presents" leftover for us. Like buried cement blocks) But he knows when is good enough. Keep digging and that in-ground pool we all dream about would materialize right in front of our eyes!
This handy transit level (which is said to have built prob $500 million worth of churches) passed down from his late father made quick work of this tiny project by finding our grade and getting screeding rails level and ready to screed.

IMG_4334.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

So now we need the material from the front driveway to the backyard. Time to take down a fence? Nope! Go through a 3rd garage which the previous owner had the foresight to have garage doors on both ends so we could drive right through!! I really appreciate them for that!

IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

Awesome friend driving alert!! Very little fell out of the bucket while passing through the garage and will need cleaning up.

It starts like this.

IMG_4335.jpg

And works like this.
IMG_4339.jpg

End of day 1.

Two indispensable items. Screed board and the plate compactor.

IMG_4342.jpg

Some side fill in and getting the sand into the back yard before I have to return the Cat tomorrow morning. And we call it a day. I'm proud we got this far. And how remarkable it feels under foot and looks. Having someone who knows where the stepping stones and alligators are is an immeasurable asset. Like not bringing too much screenings onto the area at once. After all you have to drag the stuff to move and level it.
Up early tomorrow (12:26 a.m. now I guess it's today!) to return the rental. and get back after it. 1st order of business is lay out the rails and figure where I have the pleasure of sinking 16 blocks in grown and making sure they match our grade. (eventually I get to sink 10 more for the patio) I expect well get the frame up and side panels and work on the slim layer of sand on the bottom and lay the pink foam. Shooting for a liner install Friday!! Woot woot!! Off to a much deserved bed!! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You guys did a great job. That foundation looks perfect!

What an awesome post.............full of gratitude and good friends and good work. I like your style!

Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Kim:cat:

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought of something..........do you have your test kit yet? If not you need order one as you are going to have a pool before you know it and will want to get the water balanced right away. Look in my siggy the one I use and love.

I really thought I'd be toast at 12:00 at night but keeping the cold water going down when the heat was 90 deg really helped. Plus it was not as humid as normal and we had a steady strong breeze. I was indeed still awed by the easy someone who's "been there done that" brings to the table. Plus having friends who will (and can) take a day off to spend it out doing this makes me think I'm pretty lucky. Plus he enjoys getting away from the tedium's running the owners different dealerships, dealing with people, and all that goes with that. Sometimes getting back to his love and background clears your head for the other "stuff". He has installed a few Doughboy pools in his past also! Win for me! You want it done right? You do it yourself. Right? Well you have to have the ability to do it yourself. And I sure appreciate that. I'll spend a day smoking a brisket and also doing pulled pork to surprise him with!
I am no pool expert but TFP has given me the knowledge base to be successful in multiple avenues of pool set-up and maintenance. I've read a lot of set up posts and figured if my little account helps another with a how or a why than that's me returning the favor. Plus who else am I going to brag to who understands what this all means? I like to add humor to it because that's who I am. I better get after it or there will be nothing to update later. Beat the heat right? Thanks for following!!

(I had to edit posts to get the pictures to show up since Photobucket quit hosting unless you pay) Soo, while editing post #50 it would only let me do 10 pictures in each post when it was different when I first created it. So I'll throw the 2 pictures here in case you can't see hem on post #50.

Plate compactor

IMG_4337.jpg

End of day shot:

IMG_4340.jpg

(Sorry if they are redundant)

(Now this post as it was)

Not a big update tonight. We're cleaning up and getting to bed so we can beat the heat again tomorrow. We laid out the side rails after adjusting our center line reference string. The base went down slightly biased toward one side. So instead of causing too much work when we dig our support blocks the frame laid out slightly over from where it was to go. No biggie. Just killed some time deciding what was the easier remedy. The base is wide enough to allow this. The rails were measured out to assure they are now square and the bolts were tightened. We left off the side angle supports so we could dig easier when putting the blocks in. They will be installed once the block work is done. The beloved blocks. Oh joy. I have decided that the 3 B's are the bane of pool set-up. Base, blocks, and bottom. Digging 16 holes for the frame's blocks in 90 deg heat in the heat of the day is not nearly as much fun as swimming in the same conditions. Duh! Huh? So from 2 pm-5 pm we took an A/C break with our pooches who seem to miss us. Digging went much quicker and smoother in the cooler conditions and with the sun not beating down. 8 block holes dug 8 to go in the morning. We'll fill and level them then. Get them dug while cooler and the filling/leveling can continue as it warms up. With the 25 mph-35 mph wind today we couldn't use our shade awning like we planned. More of the same (maybe less mph) for the next few days. So the progress slowed but hopefully we can get that behind us tomorrow and see some real progress. Again. Did I mention the patio section has its own 10 blocks to dig? We figure when the pool is filling for a day or two we can attack those.

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

Side rails going in. Adjusting for square and side to side. Some fine tuning of some sand under slight low spots to assure total contact when finished.

IMG_4345.jpg

The beloved blocks. We had a stack of these forever and decided why buy new when these bad boys are good and stout. No breaking or problems here.

IMG_4347.jpg

Dug a bit deep to allow bringing up to level. Plenty of screenings to use for bottom fill. Then sand to adjust slightly. It seemed easier to dig like this than to be real careful and precise with the dirt work. The screenings pack nicely. I used them under a garage floor we poured and years later it hasn't settled.

More sunscreen, shade, water, sweat and hard labor in the forecast for tomorrow. It looks to be a good day!

This is the toughest part of the job and the most important. Once the pool is up and perfectly level, you'll be happy you took the time to do it right. I'm excited to see the progress.

No pics tonight. Too tired and lazy to upload. Plus I smell. Really bad. My 12 hour deodorant must have a disclaimer that it doesn't last if a person is out digging holes in the heat. All 16 pool blocks are in. Gotta love those blocks. Looking forward to the extra 10 the patio will require. Actual structure will be up tomorrow. Depending on the obligatory break during the hottest part of the day I expect to be at the point to smooth sand for the bottom by days end. A person can hope, right?

In those kind of conditions it is more like 12 MINUTE deodorant lol nothing like a good, honest sweat to help appreciate a cold shower with a cold one waiting when you get out.

I did notice you said "upload" so we know there are pics...gives us something to look forward to......so long as they do not include smell-a-vision lol

Kim:cat:

This is very tough. Sometimes it'll make you question your sanity and if $2k+ dollars is worth the professional installation. lol But... at the end of the day, the accomplishments you will feel over the DIY project is more than money can buy.

Good luck and take your time and take breaks! Drink lots of fluid!!!

Still alive. Another day feeling like a Hershey bar on the sidewalk of life. But since it was bolting stuff together and assembly it is easier to tough through it vs. something more physical like digging or carrying a load. There was an intermittent cloud here and there so I gave a verbal thanks to the Big guy for the gesture. And the breeze was low enough we could use our shade canopy to cover us where we were working. The breeze has been a lifesaver. Kansas is muggy enough during these hot days so without something to push it around the moisture feels oppressive. We had to stop at the store for a couple of items for breakfast and snacks tomorrow afternoon. I told my better half that one of our wet dogs was not as offensive as us right about them. Yes the sanity questions come during those moments of clarity. Since I'm about ready to pass out exhausted I'll be quick.
The side wall framework is up for both sides.Took a break to get some concrete working tools to help smooth the sand. Still trying to figure how to get my portly self into and out of the center area while doing the sand and liner. We chose to move the sand into the center area early evening and after dark. We'll put up the wall in the early morning. (LOL "early morning") For us to be up early we'd have to stay up from the night before! Not early risers. We'll never get the worm. Our plan worked. We moved the 3 ton pile in about 3-4 hours. We sure think we can have water in the liner tomorrow evening. Better go. Typing in-coherent sentences. Zzzzzzzzz (Typed last night and it looks like I didn't hit 'post". )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.