Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valves - PVC ball vs Brass Ball vs Diverter Valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Valves - PVC ball vs Brass Ball vs Diverter Valves

Im installing all new plumbing on my pool with multiple skimmers and water features, and I want to make sure I get the right valves for trouble free operation.
    Does anyone have experience with this and recommendations?

My initial thoughts:

1. Cheap Home depot PVC ball valves - use them to adjust flow for each line in water features/multiple skimmers - get them adjusted right once, and never have to turn them again, thus quality doesn't matter?
    So far i have not had a problem with them leaking, although my experience is limited.

2. Higher-end Jandy PVC ball valves. maybe this is what i should be using for skimmers/water features instead of home depot valves to avoid potential leaking in the future?

3. Brass ball valves - use for when occasional turning will be required. what about issues with mineral buildup or corrosion?

4. Jandy/Hayward/Pentair Diverter valves - use anytime the valve will need to be turned frequently, like during the weekly cleaning?

thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valves - PVC ball vs Brass Ball vs Diverter Valves

You may not have had grief with the cheap PVC valves, but plenty of other people have posted about problems. Most common is they seize and the handles break off. Cutting out the bad valves generally involves a whole lot of other cutting and a complete replumb.

Why mess around with metal valves? You'll have to glue in threaded adaptors. Might as well just glue a plastic valve in directly and be done with it.

My choice would be swimming pool valves that are rebuildable. They glue in place and they don't leak and they work for years and years without trouble.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have these on all of my lines. IF you have a problem, there's no re-plumbing. Just buy a new one and insert it. Seems like the best solution to me.

Shop AMERICAN VALVE 1" PVC True Union Ball Valve at Lowes.com
    Dr. Wellness G-14 Spa
    SIZE: 92" wide x 92" long x 36" deep SEATS: 5 JETS: 98 Total Jets LIGHTS: Surround LED Lighting COMPONENTS: Balboa Spa Systems PUMP: 3 6HP EnergySaver
    WEIGHT: 1025 lbs. GALLONS: 450 Gallon Capacity ELECTRICAL: 220V

4. Back To Top    #4

The problem with ball valves is the ball swells over time and sticks, the end result is breaking the handle off trying to force them. Depending on the quality of the ball valve this takes about 3-5 years.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know why it posted my last post again. I deleted it.

I'll just say that while the valve I posted should still have problems within a few years, it's also a few bucks and thirty seconds to swap it out.
    Dr. Wellness G-14 Spa
    SIZE: 92" wide x 92" long x 36" deep SEATS: 5 JETS: 98 Total Jets LIGHTS: Surround LED Lighting COMPONENTS: Balboa Spa Systems PUMP: 3 6HP EnergySaver
    WEIGHT: 1025 lbs. GALLONS: 450 Gallon Capacity ELECTRICAL: 220V

6. Back To Top    #6

Hayward makes a similar union style ball valve for pool use, and while it may cost a bit more they will likely still be around in a few years if you need a replacement, unlike the low bidder of the year that often supplies the big box stores
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Just to clarify, for valves that will NOT be turned, used to just restrict/even out/adjust flow to multiple skimmers and deck jets/water features, ball valves seem to be the best to me. I dont have to worry about it failing and not turning because i wont turn it.

any valve that will be turned a lot - diverter valve all day, absolutely.

i like the idea of using unions and have removable ball valves, that seems like the best solution. Thats what ill do when the regular ball valves i have go bad.

Thanks