Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Snake in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Snake in pool

Is there any stuff that can be used to safely repel snakes from the pool? Safe for the poo water quality i mean. Just caught a baby in our pool that i suspect may have been a moccasin.... thanks

21000 gallons (including spa), pebble sheen; Intelliflo Vs pump plus 2hp feature pump. De filter 60sq ft; Mastertemp 400k heater; Easytouch 8 and last but not least it is a chlorine pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Snake in pool

Well, I guess it could've always been worse ....

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

There have been studies on the stuff they sell in Lowes. I think it is called "snake away". It was not found to work If/when you find something that does work let me know please.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

That is funny and I agree. Thanks for the responses!

21000 gallons (including spa), pebble sheen; Intelliflo Vs pump plus 2hp feature pump. De filter 60sq ft; Mastertemp 400k heater; Easytouch 8 and last but not least it is a chlorine pool

5. Back To Top    #5

We've had our pool for 4 years out in the woods with a creek about 100 yards from the pool. We only see a few snakes around the place every year, including copperheads and water moccasins. We were worried about snakes hanging out in our pool. I have only had to fish two snakes out of the pool. I think it is true that snakes are more afraid of us than we are of them. They seem to avoid us and the populated areas of our property. I wouldn't worry too much yet. I don't know about Pat's alligator though!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, gators make a big mess in pools, I have never had one in mine we are a few miles from alligator territory (closest ones I know of are about 5 miles away), but I have known people to have them get into their pools.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I once found a tiny snake in my skimmer basket. He was so small I thought he was a worm. He wasn't a rattlesnake so I wasn't worried. He must have somehow gotten in during a rainstorm.

As for Pat's "problem" I don't think chemical adjustments will cure that big green monster.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

8. Back To Top    #8

This stuff is amazing. It doesn't say it is for snakes but it works - they won't cross it. Just make sure when you use it to start AT your house and go all the way around - THEN slowly move out towards your yard - or you will trap snakes in. Seriously they will not cross it. I have seen them go up to where it is sprayed and then turn around. http://www.amazon.com/Viper-Insect-C...er+insecticide
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

9. Back To Top    #9

Wendy, What does it smell like?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Bad - but once it is dry the smell goes away.
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

11. Back To Top    #11

not garlic
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

lol. No - I don't think the garlic would deter the slithering kind! But it sure works on the flying beasts!
    ~Wendy

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't like snakes. Have you guys seen this story? 800 lb gator eating cattle: It was a monster': Hunters kill enormous 800-pound alligator that was feasting on farm cattle - The Washington Post
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir