Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover = increase in algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover = increase in algae?

Anyone notice this after covering the pool there is a dramatic increase in algae. Looks brown on the walls. Cover for about two or three days at a time.
    - 25,000 gallons in ground fiberglass pool
    - Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.
    - Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit
    - Polaris 380 with Hayward Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover = increase in algae?

Quote Originally Posted by John55 View Post

Anyone notice this after covering the pool there is a dramatic increase in algae. Looks brown on the walls. Cover for about two or three days at a time.
    Nope. If yoiu maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio you should not get algae..

You need to follow the SLAM Process to eliminate the algae.

Back in May you said you were getting a better test kit. Did you get one or are you still using the Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yeah, what Tim said ^ If you are getting any algae at all then there is something wrong with your water chemistry, cover or no cover.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I've had my cover on for a month or so now with zero issues.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Are you taking it off to brush?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Copy that. I brush once a week.

I did get a kit but now it's old. Still got algae only when covering so I'm guessing increased temperature increased chemical bleach demand which I did not account for.
    - Pentair VS Inteliflo Pump, Pentair SolarTouch with Solar Panels - 8 hrs run time.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

My solar cover has been on for about 3 weeks now and clear as ever Try raising your FC level after you finish the SLAM
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

I get a lot of pollen, seems to build up on cover, I brush leaves off cover but pollen trends to end up in pool. Brown "dust" on walls and bottom. Brushing and circulating gets rid of it (after 2 or 3 days).

IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

9. Back To Top    #9

Does it make a difference if it's a blue vs clear cover?

I have a blue cover.

10. Back To Top    #10

A proper test kit, bought a year ago and stored properly, should be fine to use and not too old. You need to find out the numbers for your own understanding of what's happening, and experts here are flying blind if you don't post test results. With algae already growing in the pool, a cover can make things worse if water is warmer, or better if there's less sunlight getting through, but I think the experts here are telling you nicely that the cover is not the cause. I suppose if the cover is dirty with algae, it could be adding to the problem, and would need to be cleaned. Even without seeing test numbers, it sounds like you need to kill the algae in the pool, and then maintain adequate FC.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

What are your current test results?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

I hope this thread is not to old to resurrect. I have also noticed that when we roll up our solar cover that inevitably some murky water on top makes it into the pool. When I subsequently measure FC/CC, I've seen a drop in FC (e.g., 9.5-10 ppm >> 5-6.5 ppm) and CC rising from 0 to 1 or 1.5 ppm. I've seen this twice now and have simply left the pool uncovered for a day or so and bumped up the Stenner to deliver an extra 2-5 ppm of FC over the next 24 hours. In each case, the next reading has the FC in a happy place and CC having returned to 0-0.5 ppm. Nonetheless, I've found this tendency of the cover to be harboring mucky water to be disconcerting. I also have the feeling that the cover prevents normal skimming. However, when testing the water when the cover is present, my FC and CC have always been fine. It is just when I remove it that I have problems.

I'm not sure there is a solution to this problem, but I'd be curious to see whether other people have found a way around this. Here is a log of my FC/CC numbers. The asterisks indicate readings a couple of hours after the cover was removed. Other values: pH 7.7; TA 70; CH 300; CYA 70; Salt 600; borates 50; temp 86-87F

5/29/2016 10.0 0.0
    5/29/2016 6.5 1.0*
    5/30/2016 8.5 0.5
    5/31/2016 7.5 0.5
    6/1/2016 9.0 0.0
    6/2/2016 7.5 0.5
    6/3/2016 9.5 0.0
    6/4/2016 5.0 1.5*
    6/5/2016 10.5 0.0
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry to bump this, but should I be worried about these spikes in CC? I'm thinking I should leave off the cover until it starts getting chilly again in Sept/Oct.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.