Jun 18, 2012
back ground info:
16x36 inground pool inside a green house adjacent to the house
hayward sand filter
hayward pump 1.5 HP single speed sp3010x15az
400,000 btu raypak heater
no water feature
no light feature

right now the pump and heater are on the same on/off switch and i don't like it at all.
Running the pump 24/7 to keep the water warm is a waste of electricity and adds wear and tear on the system.
what are my options?
is there some type of timer that could operate the pump and the heater but would keep the pump running if the heater was still on?
or even better a simple wireless thermostat of some kind that would activate the pump when it's below a set point and needs to run? (i think my heater has a stand by mode where it does not heat up if there is no water flow so i would not fry the unit or melt my pvc)
i just re-read my previous sentence and i think i just described what a automated system is! lol. unfortunately, i can't fork thousand of $ on a fully automated system.

sorry if this all sounds a bit dumb, i'm sure there is a system out there for me that would be ideal for me and won't break the bank...i just can't find it.

if i have to go full auto, what system would you recommend for my described needs???

thx

will

Very few (if any) automation systems have the ability to monitor the water temp and turn on the pump and heater if needed.
Most have the ability to keep the pump running past the normal shutoff time if the heater is still needed to be running.

There are some simple Intermatic automation systems that might be able to help, although again i am not sure they will turn the pump on just for heat. You might have to just set multiple short run times throughout the day that could then sense the temp and fire up the heater if needed and then keep them running until you are at the desired temp.

Or maybe the Pentair Suntouch.

Another option to save money would be to switch to a 2-speed motor on you pump, then you could run on low all the time, although that may not be enough flow for the heater, but the automation might be able to switch to high speed when needed.

thanks.
that pentair suntouch is in the right price range...
Like you mentioned, I would like to eventually replace my single speed for a double one or even a variable speed, just not in the budget this year.
From the little reading i did last night, i need to be sure pump, and controller are compatible so i'll have to decide on what pump i'll buy 1st then get a suitable controller.

In the meantime, I think i will install a simple timer like the Intermatic T104 till i'm ready to buy another pump and / or a more complex controller (i want to eventually add a chlorine system with stenner pump too)

From what i saw from this site, the intermatic T104 is the only options available?
That combined with their Fireman Switch should do the trick.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.