Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam cove

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam cove

So I ordered this foam cove for the bottom as the installer said it would help hold the sand in better...is this a hoax or good insight. Also, it came and the tape doesn't feel sticky at all??? Some of the paper was even peeled off exposing the "glue", or what's suppose to be glue. At this point I think I should just return it and have a sand cove instead. Thoughts???
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Foam cove

people love both, there are some that have the foam cove and foam bottom with no sand.. I went with sand under foam... when I had a regular pool I was going to use sand, then foam over sand, then foam cove..

the nice thing foam cove does is make a uniform cove over the whole pool, sand can be an issue but there are installers who can do sand perfect and some who do not...

I think I would use foam cove
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    people love both, there are some that have the foam cove and foam bottom with no sand.. I went with sand under foam... when I had a regular pool I was going to use sand, then foam over sand, then foam cove..

the nice thing foam cove does is make a uniform cove over the whole pool, sand can be an issue but there are installers who can do sand perfect and some who do not...

I think I would use foam cove
    shouldnt the glue be sticky though?? Seems like it won't hold well I mean the water pressure should
    hold it but thought I read that it can shift if not sticky? Probably over thinking it.
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

When you put it in, the cove should be butted up against the last piece installed. I have it and used it on 3 pool installs. I'd use it again if I replaced another pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

We used the foam cove, and then ran duct tape along the seams on both the top edging and between the pieces of cove where they butt up, to a) help stick it in place a little better and b) to help reduce any creases that might become visible when the liner is sucked tight under the water weight.
    27 foot round above ground pool, steel walls and resin uprights/top rails/foot covers.
    1.5 HP Hayward Turbo II pump, 24inch, 300# Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 200,000 BTU natural gas heater

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Countpyro1 View Post
    shouldnt the glue be sticky though?? Seems like it won't hold well I mean the water pressure should
    hold it but thought I read that it can shift if not sticky? Probably over thinking it.
    Nope, not overthinking it It should, StephL had a good suggestion on using tape, the Gorilla extra tough/thick tape is great at lowes..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **