Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: metal framed pools vs. metal walled pools

1. Back To Top    #1

spruce pine nc

metal framed pools vs. metal walled pools

A recent wind storm destroyed my Intex ultraframe pool! I have been told to upgrade to a metal walled pool, however, they are so expensive! My question is...aren't metal framed pools just as durable and long lasting as the metal walled? How long can the Intex metal framed pools last? Minus a wind storm, that is! And are Intex pools better than Coleman?
    Intex 22 x 52 ultraframe above ground

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: metal framed pools vs. metal walled pools

The intex had to be empty, I can not imagine wind moving 100,000 pounds, I have an 32 ft oval and 80 mph winds barely move the side... The intex ultra frame pools are very strong pools but without water they turn into sails i'm afraid..

you may find a good sale on a new intex ultra frame and sell the pump and filter or replace yours with the new one and have a backup
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    New York

The metal framed are not as durable as the metal walled. I had an ag metal wall and have a friend with an intex. IMO you could not say they were the same quality/durability. The metal wall pool will last 20 years (14 and going strong when I moved). I can't see the intex going that long. But the cost difference it huge like you said. And they both provide the same fun factor!
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LEG lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Edmond OK

The biggest problem I've had with Intex pools is that the legs/rails will eventually rust out long before the liner gives way. But you can buy replacements from Intex and nurse one along for quite some time. My latest 16' Ultraframe is starting its 3rd season with no visible problems yet. For a $300 pool, I'm tickled pink.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"