pentair variable pump run settings

Where does the double loop pipe to the right of the suction plumbing go? The Jandy valve is closing off water to the loop but the ball valve is open and sending water to it. What happens if you close the ball valve?

Technically, you are supposed to have 12" or so of straight pipe before the SWG. Not sure the exact distance matters, but I suspect the 90 degree turn just before the SWG is part of your flow issue.

How were you able to get all that plumbing into a phone booth?? :p

Jim R.

Now, do you guys think because the way my pool is build? the spa sits above the pool about three feet and water fall goes from the spa to the pool, do you guys think that that's the reason.
That could be a factor. The elevation rise adds 3' of head and at low RPM, that could be significant. But you should be able to set the valves so the water returns directly to the pool. Does pool only mode work at 1000 RPM?

Also, what is the filter at pump full speed?

Hey NV,

I see we are practically neighbors. We just had our pool completed nearly two months ago.

Below I will post my run times:

Pool cleaner - 5:00 AM - 8:00 AM daily (2500RPM)
Pool pump - 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM daily (2000RPM)
Spillway from spa - 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM daily (1850RPM)

Where does the double loop pipe to the right of the suction plumbing go? The Jandy valve is closing off water to the loop but the ball valve is open and sending water to it. What happens if you close the ball valve?
thank you for replying, i am sorry for my ignorance on this but i don't know your question on this, which valve do you want me to close, there are Jandy valves, there are two that are facing one way, the builder told me to turn them the other way so that spa can get bubbles and one that is almost closed, this controls the flow so that kreepy krauler can have more power to clean, other wise it will not move. let me know which valve and i am sorry but im new on this. thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Technically, you are supposed to have 12" or so of straight pipe before the SWG. Not sure the exact distance matters, but I suspect the 90 degree turn just before the SWG is part of your flow issue.

How were you able to get all that plumbing into a phone booth?? :p

Jim R.
Hi and thank you for replying, definitely is not 12", you think if i call the builder they come out and re-do this pipe. the booth was the builders idea, i don't get long distance only local :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey NV,

I see we are practically neighbors. We just had our pool completed nearly two months ago.

Below I will post my run times:

Pool cleaner - 5:00 AM - 8:00 AM daily (2500RPM)
Pool pump - 8:00 AM - 2:30 PM daily (2000RPM)
Spillway from spa - 2:30 PM - 3:15 PM daily (1850RPM)
your pool is way bigger than mine, how much did your electric bill go up after installing this pool? just curious?

That could be a factor. The elevation rise adds 3' of head and at low RPM, that could be significant. But you should be able to set the valves so the water returns directly to the pool. Does pool only mode work at 1000 RPM?

Also, what is the filter pressure at pump full speed?

Just in case you missed my questions.

Our first electric bill was $60.00 more and our gas was $8.00 more from the hot tub. Ask me when my next electric bill comes and we can see if it is steady.

thank you for replying, i am sorry for my ignorance on this but i don't know your question on this, which valve do you want me to close, there are Jandy valves, there are two that are facing one way, the builder told me to turn them the other way so that spa can get bubbles and one that is almost closed, this controls the flow so that kreepy krauler can have more power to clean, other wise it will not move. let me know which valve and i am sorry but im new on this. thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi and thank you for replying, definitely is not 12", you think if i call the builder they come out and re-do this pipe. the booth was the builders idea, i don't get long distance only local :)

- - - Updated - - -

your pool is way bigger than mine, how much did your electric bill go up after installing this pool? just curious?

Just in case you missed my questions.
From what i understand, that's how it is right now, i think?, i don't know much about how the water runs through this system, but my understanding is that the two valves facing one way are for the pool, if i want bubbles on the jacuzzy then i switch them to other side, this way i get more water on the jacuzzy, right?, i don't even know what the red valve is there for. I hope this helps, if you can tell me which valve you are talking about i can test from there. Thank you for your help on this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My mistake. You had pictures and I did not look hard enough.

So is that the valve setting in the picture where you get no flow at a 1000 RPM?

It looks like the there is a valve for the cleaner on the suction side of the pump? It is set partially off. If you turn that valve so the handle is point downward, does the no flow light then go off at 1000 RPM? The way that valve is set right now, it is closing off flow to the skimmers.

Correct, that valve is for the cleaner to move, i have it like that so it can move, i did turned it all the way so it doesn't move, then i changed the pump to run at 1200 and no flow, so i put it back to 1700, do you know by any chance what the red valve is for?
thank you.

The red valve is for your spa bypass. Currently the return valve is set to shut off the spa, however the spa bypass still always water around that valve and to the spa for chlorination purpose. You can use that valve to determine how much water you want directed at the spa vs the pool when in pool mode. However, it really isn't necessary because you could do exactly the same thing with the spa/pool valve and use it as a bypass too.

But given the setup, it is still odd that the SWG does not work at 1000 RPM. With other pools I have seen, this isn't an issue. Something may be restricting flow.

What is the filter pressure when the pump is at full speed?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter?

Hello,
I am back with this same case, i think my post got lost, probably because there a lot post everyday.
I am still in odd as to why i cannot run my pool pump at 1000 RPM because my chlorinator does not show that much flow.
I noticed my pool wasn't making too much chlorine so i checked the chlorinator and it will change from flow to no flow every maybe 1 minute or so, so i increased it to 1700 and this seemed to fixed that issue, i have to check today and see if i have some chlorine in the pool.
I have also noticed that i am starting to get some white flakes, this happened all last year, but when it got cold the white flakes went away, so i don't know really what triggers these white flakes, maybe because it is getting warmer?
i am attaching a picture, i do see bubbles in my pool and i haven't paid too much attention to this thing, don't really know the name, but when it was running at 1650 it was half way, once i changed it to 1700 it moved a little higher but still looks as there is not enough flow, can anyone let me know based on the picture what could be the issue.
there are several questions, if anyone can help me i will really appreciated.
IMG_2141.jpg

The flakes are probably calcium deposits on the SWG. When the cell turns on, it flips polarity and tends to shed some of the scale. It could mean your CSI is a bit high.

The bubbles in the picture above are probably from the SWG. That is normal.

Also, I noticed in your previous picture that there is a valve on the suction side of the pump that is partially off. When running at 3110 RPM, do you have a lot of bubbles in the pump basket. You may be restricting the flow from that valve.

I have a Pentair IC-40 SWG and anything less than 2100RPM says low flow and will NOT generate chlorine.

I am no expert but if you wanted to slow the pump down to say 1000RPM I would imagine you will be pouring in liquid chlorine as the SWG will be producing nothing. At least that how it would be in my pool.

Good luck!

Hello,
I am back with this same case, i think my post got lost, probably because there a lot post everyday.
I am still in odd as to why i cannot run my pool pump at 1000 RPM because my chlorinator does not show that much flow.
I noticed my pool wasn't making too much chlorine so i checked the chlorinator and it will change from flow to no flow every maybe 1 minute or so, so i increased it to 1700 and this seemed to fixed that issue, i have to check today and see if i have some chlorine in the pool.
I have also noticed that i am starting to get some white flakes, this happened all last year, but when it got cold the white flakes went away, so i don't know really what triggers these white flakes, maybe because it is getting warmer?
i am attaching a picture, i do see bubbles in my pool and i haven't paid too much attention to this thing, don't really know the name, but when it was running at 1650 it was half way, once i changed it to 1700 it moved a little higher but still looks as there is not enough flow, can anyone let me know based on the picture what could be the issue.
there are several questions, if anyone can help me i will really appreciated.
View attachment 50285

The ic40 should work down to 25 gpm. If you are only getting 25 gpm at 2100 or 1700 rpm, there is a lot of head loss in the plumbing.

Hello, great information here, the that is half way i usually have it that way so that the crawler can clean, otherwise it will not move.
When i run it at higher speeds i don't see bubbles.

The flakes are probably calcium deposits on the SWG. When the cell turns on, it flips polarity and tends to shed some of the scale. It could mean your CSI is a bit high.

The bubbles in the picture above are probably from the SWG. That is normal.

Also, I noticed in your previous picture that there is a valve on the suction side of the pump that is partially off. When running at 3110 RPM, do you have a lot of bubbles in the pump basket. You may be restricting the flow from that valve.

- - - Updated - - -

by saying head loss, you think is not done properly?

The ic40 should work down to 25 gpm. If you are only getting 25 gpm at 2100 or 1700 rpm, there is a lot of head loss in the plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.