Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Capping off the chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Capping off the chlorinator

I inherited a pool with an inline chlorinator. TFP has educated me on the dangers of stealthy CYA levels, and I avoid using pucks on a regular basis. The chlorinator has been turned off for some time. Here's the problem: it's leaking. Here's the question: is it possible to remove the chlorinator body and cap off all the ports somehow? Thanks for your help and suggestions!
    10K Gal IG Freeform Fiberglass Pool
    1.5 HP Centurion Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Automatic Pool Cleaner (model unkown)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Capping off the chlorinator

Where is it leaking at on the chlorinator? Near the bottom where it's connected to the plumbing, or at the top of the tower itself? Maybe the cap O-ring?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's leaking from the side of the plumbing, where the little hose attaches. That threaded connection is cracked. I was figuring I could just disconnect everything, epoxy that crack, and seal up all the openings.

- - - Updated - - -

I know a permanent solution would be to re-plumb, but I'm not sure how to do that myself.

4. Back To Top    #4

I see. Yours is slightly different than mine. You certainly could do that. If however you ever think you may go on vacation (i.e. like to Florida), it may come-in handy. ha ha (sorry, couldn't resist). But sure, do what you have to for now. In the future, if you ever really had to replace it, I'm sure you could. As long as the water flow to the pool is not impeded you'll be fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Pat! I got a couple of 1/2" plugs. I'm going to seal up the in/out ports and just leave the tower. We'll see how that goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I vacation in Massachusetts. Lol

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

I did that too, but just used some stainless steel very short bolts, with hose clamps (with a liberal amount of liquid nails on them before inserting)

capped up good!
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh good, a fellow capper!