Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New house green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New house green pool

Well for starters I am very happy I found this site. I'm hoping to get cheaper and better info here than from my local pool store who's trying to sell me the world. I recently purchased a house and it has a pool. I've never had a pool so I don't have a clue. What I do know is that it is a nice mix between green and brown and full of pine needles and leaves. The previous owner didn't open it up last year. It's a 24x17 above ground Kayak half & half meaning 1 side is a deep end. It has a sta-rite cartridge style filter and is currently somewhat covered. My ?'s are how do I start by getting the water clean and also should I stay with a cartridge style filter or switch to DE ? I plugged in the filter and the motor/pump sounds a little rough so at the very least I'm thinking I will need a cartridge and motor pump Assy. With having to put $ out to fix this system I want to make sure it's not a better idea to just buy a new DE system. As far as the water I've had a few people tell me just to dump a bunch of bleach in it. That doesn't seem right to me but like I said I don't know anything about pools but hoping to learn quick. Any help is greatly appreciated. Seems funny to be asking about pools when I have snow on my front lawn but that's New England for you. Next week it will be 80

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New house green pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How big is the cartridge filter? If it is too small, then I might advise replacing (with sand or a bigger cartridge or DE ... all personal preference: See Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison)

To clear up the water, the first thing you are going to need to do is invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value, and since you are dealing with a swamp, the XL option is a good idea. And finally, the SpeedStir makes the testing easier and more fun.

So, your friends have almost the right idea. You do need to add a lot of bleach, but we have a specific method to clearing up your pool that will not damage anything. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Some other related reading:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

And really, you should likely start with some of the basics, before doing much besides ordering the test kit.
    Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We're glad you found us as well. Jason gave you all the links and tips already. Have a nice evening.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool! Snow this week and 80 next week. Nice!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

You've already got the important links, but here's some easier reading. Just scroll through and look at the pictures. All you have to do is what they did.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it better to treat the water that is in the pool using a small pump to circulate the water (pool is less than half full), or actually fill it up and treat the full pool?
    33' round 54" deep Diamond Star AGP (28,400 gallons)
    Waterway 1.5hp sand filter with a perma salt system

7. Back To Top    #7

I would say fill and treat as a whole
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to start with ordering a tf-100 test kit and clean the old nasty filter in some TSP and use that filter to do tha SLAM then switch to the new cartridge. Hope it works. But 1st I need to get the pine needles and everything else out of the water. I think I saw a frog swimming around.

9. Back To Top    #9

The more gunk you can scoop out now, the faster things will go when you get your kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Maybe a dumb ? But can I use turbo shock to do the SLAM ?

11. Back To Top    #11

Not likely. What is it?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

It looks like 78% cal-hypo.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait for your kit to arrive. Then we can better advise you.

13. Back To Top    #13

image.jpgimage.jpgFound some other stuff I think maybe this is what I'm Looking for. The pool places around me are no help at all unless I give them a blank check. TF100 on its way. Just trying to figure out what I need and where to get it while I wait.

14. Back To Top    #14

Sodium hypochlorite. Should be good.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Does it have a 5 digit date code on it? It will be something like 16099 which would mean it was bottled on the 99th day of 2016. You want it to be fresh. You can get regular bleach from the laundry aisle also. Again, check for freshness.

16. Back To Top    #16

12.5% is nice and it is a full gallon! That makes for a lot less jugs to haul. Concentrated grocery store bleach is 8.25% and only 121 oz. I usually get it for 2.99
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Got my TF-100 test kit today. WOW I'm now a chemist this kit is no joke. Time to get busy
    14,500K above ground Kayak with deep end. Sta-rite 100sqft cartridge filter with 1.5hp pump/motor. TF-100 test kit w/speedstir.

18. Back To Top    #18

It is actually quite fun

Post up those results right here when you have them
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Ok so I finally had some free time today and broke out the test kit. Not sure if my readings are any good but I'm new to this so here is what I have keep in mind my pool looks like a swap and I've been scooping out pine needles all day.

FC 0
    CC 0
    PH 6.8
    TA 30
    CYA 0
    CL 0

any my and all help greatly appreciated
    14,500K above ground Kayak with deep end. Sta-rite 100sqft cartridge filter with 1.5hp pump/motor. TF-100 test kit w/speedstir.

20. Back To Top    #20

And CH 50

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast