New here and need advice/guidance

My FC held last night, my CC is staying at 0.5 but it is almost clear before I put one drop in to get my number. The water was clear enough that I could see phillips head screws holding the drain to the floor! Didnt think it would ever be that clear! Today we had lots of rain and now I have leaves and pollen in the pool. Its still in SLAM so I will hold it in SLAM for another day just to be safe. Thanks again for everyones help! I am sure I will be back for more help once the season gets going. I also added DE to the filter again this morning and I believe thats what help get the haze out of the water.

At TFP, .5 ppm of CC is the same as zero. :goodjob: For your FC reagents, have you been doing the 10 ml sample size?
10ml sample, multiply drop count by .5 (standard method)

Joshua, your eyes know better than us, so just be sure ... water crystal clear ... CC <=.5, and passed OCLT. If you say you did it, we believe you. :)

I have been doing the 10ml sample. Do you have a better way? After I add the 5 drops to test the CC it almost clear, very light hint of pink, anyone else not familiar with the testing would probably says its clear. I am going to do the OCLT test again tonight and see where I am tomorrow. We are supposed to have lots of rain tomorrow so not sure if that will affect the numbers.

joshua you have come so far! Look at your pool now! WOW! AND it will get even better in a week or two. Hard to believe huh? It will be so clear you will wonder where your water went if the pump is off and the sun is just right!

We would love to see a pretty badge by your name to show everyone how much TFP helped you and it helps us keep the lights on for you and others later. Here is a link to the supporters page:
CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Kim:cat:

I have been away and just read the updates to your thread. Congrats on your progress!

I am wondering, though, if you are adding fresh DE every time you backwash. Backwashing removes the DE and you have to replenish it. You may be doing that, but I wanted to make sure you understood. Sorry if I missed something. I had a lot to catch up on. You go!!!

Thanks! I do understand that the DE is removed during a backwash. I seemed to help clear the water up the few times I added it. We have had a bad storm the past few nights. I did the OCLT and they both came back around 4. Each night we have received about 1" of rain. I know that affects it to a point but not sure how much. I kept it in SLAM over the weekend and also this morning before I left the house. I have very little of the drops to test FC so I did not test as much during the day as I have been. Hoping that gets shipped out to me today. I had tons of pollen strings and leafs to get out yesterday so the water was not as clear as it was Saturday. I will keep at it and hopefully get past this SLAM at some point. My CC is holding at 0.0~0.5 for the past 4 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since I have ran out of drops to test my FC I have been adding chlorine to the pool in the mornings and evenings based on my typical usage keeping it around 20. Hopefully the new drops will be here today and I can do a true OCLT tonight and hopefully be out of this 3 week long SLAM. Water has cleared up even more since this past weekend. The storms kind of set me back a little with adding all the pollen and leaves to my water but it has cleared up nicely. The water temp was 76 yesterday so maybe I can take a swim in the next few weeks. I also need to get that pool light ordered and start working on building a ladder and supports for the pool slide that I found in the woods behind my house. I will also have to put a new finish on the slide. The slide is not broken but the finish is bubbled up. I assume the previous owner didnt have any use for the slide and threw it in the woods.... along with everything else they didnt want. I cannot find the supports or ladder although they are probably somewhere on the property based on all the junk I have came across.

It was honestly down a hill about 100 yards from the pool all covered in leaves. I had to drag it back up the hill and then snake it around all the bamboo that the previous owner also decided was a nice alternative to grass. That is going to be a chore to clear all that bamboo out. Didnt realize that it grows about one foot per day... crazy!

----UPDATE----
I finally received more drops to test my FC. I purchased a skimmer sock and that was been catching some yellow slim stuff in the pool. I am guessing its pollen and could have been one of the reasons for my water being clear but hazy. The water is very clear now, my CC has been at 0 for almost a week and last night my FC held from 10pm to 7am without loosing any FC. I think I am finally finished with the SLAM! Today marks 3 full weeks since I started it. I have used 25 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine. Once my FC gets closer to normal levels I will start working on my ph and TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.