New here and need advice/guidance

ok. I added a little less than what the Poolmath said just to see how everything reacted.

pH <6.8
FC 0
TA 40

I also decided to measure the pool since I had a tape measure handy. I had been told it was a 16x32. Its actually an 18x38 so I actually only added about half what I should have. My TA did go up a decent amount. I will add everything again and see what I get. Just wanted to keep you all updated. Thanks again for all of your help!

Well that's a nice surprise! That's a big pool!

You're doing well.....keep going. We're here for ya if you need :)

Thanks! It was a nice surprise but it changed my number quite a bit. It also explains why it took forever to fill it back up.. haha. I just added two bottle of liquid chlorine and one box of borax. I will have to make a trip tomorrow to pick up more borax. The TA increase has a big impact on the amount of borax you will need to get the pH up.

Update as of 4/17/16 10:00pm

pH 7.2
FC 7
TA 80

My TA is higher than what had been mentioned for me to set as my goal but the store was completely out of borax so I had to get the washing soda. I had hopped it would only take me up to around 60 based on pool math.

I also tested for CC and got 1.5, should I be concerned about this at this point?

The pool is pretty cloudy on the deep end now after adding all these powders. I can still see the drain in the bottom but not clearly. What is my next goal? Thanks again for all the help! My wife thinks I'm crazy now because I got all excited about actually having an FC reading. haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA is 50, right? If so, start slamming with your cloudy water and high CC. Here is the FC/CYA chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart which tells you to bring FC to 20ppm. Then read this for your slaMaintain: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Don't worry about TA for now. Let's get you clear!!!

Correct, CYA is 50. This is going to be a crazy week but I will try to get the slam going. It actually smelled like a pool this morning when I was cleaning out the skimmer basket. haha.

It will go down on its own. No worries there. More than anything, use it as a lesson to try and figure out why the increase. Was the bleach a higher percentage? Testing error before or after perhaps? Was the gallons (and/or weight, percentage) entered correctly on the Poolmath Calculator? These are just some of the more common reasons for that type of disparity.

starting day two of the slam. The FC this morning was 17.5 so I adjusted back to 20. The CC is staying at 1.5 and the water is still very cloudy on the deep end. One question.... The water was almost clear until I added the chlorine, backing soda and borax. Since I added those it has been a milky color on the deep end. I can still see the bottom drain but not the details on the floor. Is that typical and what causes that to happen when adding chemicals?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.