can chlorine cause slimy feeling on your skin?

That kit sounds similar to the Wal-Mart HTH 6-way. I got by (barely) my first summer on BBB using one - with occasional verification (if you can call it that) by the pool Store testing. :mrgreen:

You won't regret upgrading, when the time comes...

I hesitated that first year with BBB. I had wasted sooo much money on pool store chems I just couldn't justify another $70 for a testkit to my dear hubby.

So I tried to get by with the 6-way. The numbers aren't terrible, the CL and PH are basically ok, the TA was slightly off the CH was terrible, not even close, the CYA was fine but it only contained enough reagent for 2 tests. I used that the first 2 weeks as I was adjusting my CYA.

My numbers basically agreed with the pool store tests, to some degree. Problem was my CYA was too high, and I needed my FC to run higher than 5. That chlorine test only tests up to 5 FC, and if you have CYA that requires FC of more than 5 you won't be able to test for it.

Plus if you have to shock, you can't test to see if you reached shock level. There exist methods of dilution to see the higher levels, but you lose accuracy.

Since you are starting out with 0 CYA - if you keep your CYA under 40 you can keep your FC under 5 (except shocking) and then you'll be able to read the results on your test comparator okay.

The FAS-DPD test that is part of the recommended kits can test it up to 50 and it's a drop-count test, you don't have to compare colors like on the OTO and PH tests. It's very easy to use, that's why it's so recommended and essential with pool care.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.