Foreclosure Mess

Apr 4, 2016
Lexington
Hello, we purchased a property to 'flip'. We hope to have it back on the market in 2 weeks, so I'm hoping to get the pool cleared fast. I ordered the TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT after reading through the forum, BUT it won't be here for a week. I'm hoping someone can give me suggestions until I get it in.
The pool hasn't been opened in approx 3 years, and someone stole the pump. We have a new pump installed and its up and running. I dumped about 3 gal of bleach in per night for a week or so. It's started to clear up a bit, but there's still lots of Algee & dead worms on the bottom when I vac (on waste).
We've had an above ground for 10 years, so I've got some experience, but fortunately ours has never been this bad. I've always taken my own water to the pool store to be tested, but I'm not going to be able to afford doing that with this swamp! Any suggestions of what I can do to jump start it until my kit arrives?
Thanks all! This forum is great! Also had 6 areas of liner that came off track & got 5 of them pulled back up using the advise on here! I'm still working on the big one :)

Doubtful that a swamp can be properly cleared up in only two weeks unless you're constantly monitoring the pool and performing a SLAM procedure properly. Navigate over to Pool School and check out Pool School - Defeating Algae including the SLAM procedure.

Should have ordered the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. Better kit, would have gotten their sooner I bet too. Not much you can do properly until you have a test kit other than vacuum debris to waste or scoop it out with a leaf rake. Keep pump running all the time but only when you can monitor it, in case the pressure rises too quickly. 1-2 gallons of bleach per day is safe if the water is swampy, adding slowly in front of a running return. Post full test results when you get your kit.

Stock up on bleach, fresh stuff from a store with high turn over. 10+ gallons of 8.25% or higher concentration for convenience should get you started. You'll likely need some muriatic acid as well so a gallon of that from the hardware store, farm store or pool store. You may need other chemicals but you won't know until you test. Before your kit arrives... read the linked article and understand it's a process that must be followed to completion. The more you monitor and dose, the quicker it will usually go.

Welcome, you are doing it... If not opened in 3 years the CYA has probably turned to ammonia, do you have an OTO test kit? It is the one that looks like this at walmart for 9 bucks HTH 3-Way Test Kit - Walmart.com

You want to get your PH to 7.2 using muriatic acid (not the green stuff) full strength (lowes, HD, atwoods. lumber store)
Test your free chlorine and get that to tweety bird yellow, that will put you at a FC between 5 and 10
once your test kit arrives
bring your CYA to 30
Keep your shock FC above 12 at all times... 15 is good to start at and adjust from there to stay above 12.
take a picture of the stairs or something every morning to see your progress
Check out all the links below in my sig
Have fun :)

Thanks guys! I think I've got most of the leaves & bigger debris out by scooping & vacuuming, but I can't see the bottom to know for sure. I've never used the bleach in my own pool, only this one. Would shock & tablets work faster? And should I keep tablets in the Chlorinator of i continue with the bleach?
Also, should I wait for test kit to add stabilizer?
I plan on slamming it when I get the test kit in. I've read the great articles, I'd just like to try to stay on top of it until the test kit arrives.
The filter doesn't have a pressure guage, so I'm back washing a couple of times a day when I see the water pressure decreasing. A couple of times a day sound right?

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

Nice dog! Good idea putting the dog in charge of the pool! :-D

Yeah, he works really hard on supervising! :cool:

I would hold off on pucks until you know your CYA level. Pucks, shock, liquid chlorine and bleach are all the same thing, chlorine. Liquid is faster than solid because it doesn't have to dissolve.

Backwashing when you notice a drop in flow is good, a couple of times a day ought to cover it.

Shock and tablets may only deepen your troubles. Both will add stabilizer (CYA) to your pool. Dichlor shock granules RAPIDLY increases your CYA level. Trichlor tablets also increase CYA level and both are very acidic. It's best to control what you're putting in your pool for chemicals individually and ONLY bleach is used for SLAMing a pool for this reason. Using some cal-hypo shock might be possible but that will also raise your CH level and without testing, you don't know if that's too high already. ALL solid forms of chlorine have chemicals that will remain in your pool until it is drained. Bleach is only hypochlorite and a little salt. Stick to bleach.

Backwashing too much actually can slow down filtration. Sand filters filter better when they are a little dirty. Replace/install the gauge. Glycerine filled gauges are better. If you see flow decreasing at the returns, you've maybe waited too long to backwash though...

Shock and tablets are the same thing as the bleach you are using, the good thing with the bleach it does not add CYA... If you teach the new owners on using bleach or send them here to us then you will only need to use the chlorinator when on vacation or when you can not add bleach..

I would wait to add stabilizer, you just don't know if any is in the water now

grab that OTO test kit and see if you are holding FC now, you can continue to add bleach until you get your 2006 test kit. Leslies pool or lowes will have a pressure gauge, you really should get one so you can see what pressure your at, we recommend to backwash at 25% over clean pressure..

Hope this helps :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOVE the name and the pic of the dog! Has he been in yet?? BATH time if he does! Ewwwwww stinky swamp dog!!

You can keep adding some (a jug a day) until your test kit gets there. Make sure the pump is running.

I do like Casey idea about getting the little test kit to give you a ballpark of what you are working with.

Kim

LOVE the name and the pic of the dog! Has he been in yet?? BATH time if he does! Ewwwwww stinky swamp dog!!

You can keep adding some (a jug a day) until your test kit gets there. Make sure the pump is running.

I do like Casey idea about getting the little test kit to give you a ballpark of what you are working with.

Kim

Lol! Thanks! He only hangs off the side so far, I'm waiting on his clumsy butt to fall in tho! Ha! The neighbors lab has taken a couple of swims tho!
Thanks for the suggestions! I've checked everywhere in my area for the OTO kit and can't find it in stock.
Thanks again!

Lol! Thanks! He only hangs off the side so far, I'm waiting on his clumsy butt to fall in tho! Ha! The neighbors lab has taken a couple of swims tho!
Thanks for the suggestions! I've checked everywhere in my area for the OTO kit and can't find it in stock.
Thanks again!

We usually don't send anyone to leslies but they should have the OTO kit K-1000, it will work just fine until you get you 2006... Taylor Technologies K-1000 OTO Basic Test Kit

I am a huge advocate of brushing! Brush, brush, brush. It makes a huge difference. I brush the bottom towards the main drain and pull from there.

Thank u! Do u suggest vacuuming on waste, then brush or brush before vacuuming? Every time I brush it stirs it all up & turns it green all over.

- - - Updated - - -

We usually don't send anyone to leslies but they should have the OTO kit K-1000, it will work just fine until you get you 2006... Taylor Technologies K-1000 OTO Basic Test Kit

Will do! Thanks!

My preferred method is to turn off the skimmer and only pull from the main drain while brushing and for a time after. It pulls the heavier stuff out nicely. I turn the filter off overnight and vacuum all the settled stuff up in the morning before the pump comes on. I never have vacuumed to waste so I don't even know how to do it.

Your still pretty green so I would just focus on brushing, keeping the chlorine up to your level and keep that pump running. I have learned it is important not to backwash before you hit the 25% mark. If you can't be around to keep an eye on the pressure then at least use recirculate. The filter will work much better when it is dirty. Also, I use skimmer socks and some fiber clear in my filter. These make a big difference as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.