First results with TF-100 kit

We completed our pool about 2 months ago and I've been using various methods to keep the pool chemistry stabilized. My PB did the initial work, although, I think they just did the basics. They gave me a ton of chemicals during pool school and I've been using them up while also reading this site and the BBB method. The PB only provided me with a basic chemistry testing kit, so I haven't been exactly sure what my numbers looked like. The pool is clear right now and I want to keep it that way.

After receiving the TF-100 kit I tested my water and here's what I found:

FC - 3
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 100
CH - 280
CYA - 30
Temp - 80

Since the pool was a new startup, I've been using Trichlor pucks initially to get the CYA up. Should I keep doing this for a while longer to try to get the level a little higher. From what I've read these numbers look OK but you don't know what you don't know.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to estimate about how long it would take for the CYA to move from 30 to 50? I'm assuming with the water heating up, that I'll be going through the tablets faster and thereby raising the CYA faster. I'm just not sure how quickly this number an change.

How often should I be checking the CYA level?

Woodberg said:
Since the pool was a new startup, I've been using Trichlor pucks initially to get the CYA up. Should I keep doing this for a while longer to try to get the level a little higher.
The Pool Calculator says it would take about 6 pucks to increase CYA by 10. Just to give you a ballpark for when it would be worth testing again. (I'm doing the same thing right now.)
--paulr

I checked my chlorine level again yesterday, May 4 and got the following results:

FC - .5
CC - .5

We had a lot of kids in the pool on May 2-3. I'm assuming, since I still have pucks loaded in the feeder, that chlorine is still being added to the water. Would these kinds of results seem normal? I'm assuming that the chlorine is being used up from the heavy usage. Is there anything special I should do or should I just wait until the chlorine has a chance to destroy the CC and build back up? Is it normal to see a small percentage of CC's after heavy usage while the chlorine is doing its job?

Also, with the Paramount ozonater running, my understanding is that its primary purpose is to reduce the CC's down to zero. I'm currently running my pump for 12 hours per day so the oxone system should have plenty of time to work.

Low FC levels are not exactly uncommon, but they are not good and not something you should allow to happen if you can prevent it.

At this point, I would add some extra chlorine to boost the level back up to normal manually and then keep an eye on it to make sure the automatic chlorinator can keep up.

If you are having a swim party, or some similar event where there will be more swimming than usual, it is best to add a little extra chlorine in advance, so the FC level never gets that low.

If this amount of swimming is common, you should turn up the dial on the automatic chlorinator a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.