Help with Sheer Descent Plumbing - 2nd Pump

Hello,
I'm currently remodeling my 20,000 gallon pool. We are doing new tile and also new flagstone coping, the person doing the remodel recommended some sheer descents for our raised wall. I am doing two 5" Foot Sheer Descents, my builder has recommended for me to purchase a separate pool pump a minimum of 2HP to push them. My question for everyone is, is it okay to use the pool return line that's at the equipment pad for the suction on the 2nd Pool Pump? Or should I pay big money to do demo for a new drain in the wall strictly for the 2nd Pool Pump, like the person who is doing my remodel recommended?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Generally you do not want to run 2 pumps off the same suction line. Just imagine what happens when 1 pump is not running? You could be drawing water backward though the other pump, which would be really a mess if the feature pump pulled water backward through the main pump and filter.

If the suction line was not designed have the flow rates for 2 pumps, like being a large pipe, then you might be trying to force more water through it than it was designed for.

If you do not want to add another suction line, then I would suggest just sticking to 1 pump and using a valve to divert some flow to the water feature. You might want to go with one of the larger VS pumps so that you can dial in the flow requirements.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

My Intelliflo pump is plumbed to a 3way valve that splits the output to a waterfall and the pool returns. We can send as much or littl water as we want to the waterfall. It works great. Pics of the equipment pad in my build thread, link in sig.

If you put a one way valve on each pump, you could have two on the same line. Then have the filter pump run at a different time than the sheer pump. Or just use one pump with a valve and have them running off the filter pump, but I think theres a chance that wouldn't flow enough water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.