Green Monster

KGK

Jun 16, 2013
Springfield MO
I opened my pool to the Green Monster ... bummer. We had a very warm winter. Anyway, I emptied a third of water and refilled (still green) but now Im not sure what my stabilizer number is.

What to do first?

Let the system filter for a day or two before adding bleach? Add Bleach immediately? When do I test and add the stabilizer (assuming its low) because I need to back wash my filter frequently right now due to the green debris bogging it down every 4-5 hours.

Thanks for any advise!!!!

Move the sand filter to recirculate for now and let it mix a while. Make a lap around the pool with the brush and/or leaf rake. That will get all the water mixed well and then you can take your readings. Without knowing the CYA, you don't know how high to set the FC. If there's none left, 10 FC is plenty. But if CYA is 100 or above, 10 FC will be the equivalent of putting a bandaid on a gunshot. You also need to test the rest, because once you start a SLAM, you can't accurately test or adjust pH, and it's also possible that CH or CYA will still be too high and you'll want to replace more water.

As an aside, if you do end up replacing more water, vacuum to waste to do it. Then any sludge you pick up off the bottom will get sent out the backwash pipe and won't clog up the filter.

When you do have your results, you can plan your SLAM. Some Inspirational Links. Just do what they did.

Move the sand filter to recirculate for now and let it mix a while. Make a lap around the pool with the brush and/or leaf rake. That will get all the water mixed well and then you can take your readings. Without knowing the CYA, you don't know how high to set the FC. If there's none left, 10 FC is plenty. But if CYA is 100 or above, 10 FC will be the equivalent of putting a bandaid on a gunshot. You also need to test the rest, because once you start a SLAM, you can't accurately test or adjust pH, and it's also possible that CH or CYA will still be too high and you'll want to replace more water.

As an aside, if you do end up replacing more water, vacuum to waste to do it. Then any sludge you pick up off the bottom will get sent out the backwash pipe and won't clog up the filter.

When you do have your results, you can plan your SLAM. Some Inspirational Links. Just do what they did.

My CYA was around 35 last season and I emptied 1/3 of the water. If anything I may need to add. I will test and certainly start with 10fc. Thanks!

What are you testing with? You really need to not go into this without a proper test kit. I see you've been a member for awhile. Have you ordered a test kit yet? If yes, post test results. If not, order a proper test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.