Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Recommendations?

I am hoping to replace my pool pump that came with my pool when I bought the house - it looks like a 1 hp Purex Challenger? label is really faded

I was thinking of going with the Hayward Eco Star, but my old pool has only 1 1/2" pipes - so I was thinking of the Hayward Tristar or the MAx Flo VS. I am hoping to add solar panels in the future for pool heating, and some automation\ valve actuators to make more wife friendly....

Thoughts
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Recommendations?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Eco Star would likely be overkill.
    Some of the smaller VS pumps (like the MaxFlo) do not integrate well in automation systems. I know the new Superflo VS has some terminals that allow hooking it up to some automation.
    A cheap option would be to replace your existing motor with a 2-speed version and use your existing pump. That can integrate into just about any automation system.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the Pentair Superflo 1-1/2hp variable speed pump could be connected to a solar controller via relay to increase the pump speed when solar heat is called for.

Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply's-- I did a quick look and up here in Canada the Pentair is on sale for 25% off ($870) but the website says it is the older model 342000 but haven't called to confirmed yet. Any thoughts on buying used? There is someone that is selling "reconditioned\rebuilds" pumps and offers a six month warranty. I have been following his offerings online over the last year...
    Thanks again..
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

5. Back To Top    #5

The old model 342000 doesn't have external control capability.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach