advice in choosing steel AGP and equipment?

The difference between and in-ground pump and an above-ground pump, as far as I know, is that the in-ground pump needs to be self-priming because it is pulling the water up from a level below the pump. An above-ground pump can rely upon gravity to prime it, since the water level is higher than the pump.

Other than that, I don't see why they would be any different, but perhaps some expert here can let us know if there's more to it than that. If this is all there is to it, then an in-ground pump should work equally well for an above ground pool, but not vice versa. But they are probably more expensive.

Btw, the salt content in a saltwater pool is less even than that in human tears, so I doubt your son would experience any trouble from it.

Jeff is correct, in ground pumps are self priming above ground are not. The installer is incorrect that burying the pool 2 feet will make the pump height wrong. As long as the pump inlet is below the surface level of the water you will be ok.

Hey all. Thanks for the links, tips, and tidbits of information. I may never get a pool at the rate I'm going (it was on my list to do in January, but I shattered my wrist and lost a few months just surviving and doing therapy). I think my head is swimming from all the searches on here and trying to keep it all straight. Before I quit tonight, here's a really crazy question...have any of you known anyone who constructed a pool on their own from the rings of a grain bin? My brother is actually a grain bin dealer, so I asked if he happens to have any spare or damaged sheets. Turns out he can give me enough free ones to construct a circle in 30', 33', or 36'. I googled this idea and see that it actually has been done before. I'm starting to wonder if I should attempt this "redneck" method and DIY? We have a neighbor family who have even more kids than I do (they had to live with us for the summer after the massive Joplin MO tornado a few years ago and liked to swim at my house). I bet a crew of our size could knock out a good-size hole in a few weeks. And I already know how to attach grain bin sheets ("you can take the girl off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the girl"). The ring would only be 42" tall, so I could put it a foot into the ground, have a 3' deep half for younger kids and dig the other side down for a 5-6' deep side? My oldest son could cut the holes in the side. If I could pick up some of the pump & filter equipment used, I think I could hire an electrician AND build a really nice platform around it (to camouflage my hillbilly corrugated galvanized walls) all within my original budget. And the more I read on here, the more I would love to spend the extra $ on heater, lights, SWG, etc. I know I'm tired so probably not thinking very realistically...but am I completely crazy? The part I can't figure out is what to line the inside walls with to protect the vinyl liner...we had pink foam under the floor of our intex, but I'd need something more pliable and a way to keep it up, not sliding down as the pool filled. Hmmm...time to sleep on it I guess. Tell me the truth if I'm going off the deep end. :)

You can do anything you want :) We will help you out..

You could use 1/4 inch 4 foot x 50 foam from lowes to cover the inside, you would need a stretchable liner and some kind of liner holder/top to keep it there...

you can get used in ground or above ground equipment or new :) bigger is better except the pump..

It doesn't sound like a terrible idea. People make water tanks out of that to hold well water pumped by windmills in west texas. I think they use a roll on product to make it watertight but I'm not sure. I've seen plenty of them but never looked that closely. Vinyl liner companies can make a vinyl line in any size you want including a deep end. Not sure about what to insulate the wall with, that 1/4" stuff seems thin. Maybe the blue foam sheets.

Thanks again, everybody. Yes, definitely would have a large side of "hillbilly" going on here if we went the grain bin DIY route. Still following up on a lot of Craigslist ads (now expanded to 6+ hours from home) and shopping at poolsupplyworld and poolfactory. Waiting on health department STILL regarding septic lines and old permit investigation. Meanwhile, here are some new questions:

1) Has anyone partially buried a LARGE oval (20x40ish) that was NOT a Doughboy? I've been reading thread after thread and most seem to be Doughboy, but would love to get info about anyone's success/regret with other brands. If we buy a new pool, it will be resin and approved for partial inground installation...any experiences to share?

2) Sometimes I'm reading threads which refer to pictures in the posts that I cannot find any link to or evidence of...what am I doing wrong?

3) If I can get a used pool, I'd love to use some of the saved money on a heat pump or solar panels...which is more effective and/or easier to use with a large pool? (Remember, we are not handy.)

4) Somewhere in my reading on this site, I saw an AGP install which used extra returns as water features, aimed to arc water out with pump on high for kid fun. Also saw a nifty PVC multi-holed gadget mounted on inside of AGP that sprayed water. I cannot find either of them now...anyone know what I'm talking about and where to look for more information about how to do these?

It's getting warm here (Missouri), and I am getting impatient to get something started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nichole (lovetoswim), do you have any photos of your pool and deck? The sizes seem very similar to what I'm considering, and I looked at Wilbur online. Can you share any with me? Thanks.

So sorry for the delay! Here are a few pics. Will have to update one of the deck as it is finished now :) HOORAY!! The front half of the pool is in the ground about 2ft.

11535932_10153477895214880_6965414294865023542_n.jpgWP_20160405_19_30_07_Pro.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.