What's One More Pool in Central Texas

Mar 8, 2016
McGregor, Texas
So I’ve been picking your brains with the “Search” feature for almost a month now. Still have a lot to learn (I don’t quite speak “pool” yet), but there’s a gold mine of info on here and what seems to be a great community of people that are passionate about their pools and helping others.With today being “Gunite Day”, I figured it’s as good a time as any to say “Hi”. So….Hi! :handwave:

So to catch you all up, we started digging on March 18th, laid steel on Easter weekend, plumbed and bonding on the 28th. So things have progressed rather quickly. They hit a natural spring at the very bottom of the deep end. So when the inspector came out for the steel and bonding…we failed due to him not being able to see the bottom. Got a sump pump out there and ran it this morning to get the water out, and just got verification that we did pass. So gunite crew will be at the house at around 2pm!

My poor wife had to fly to Nashville on business yesterday, but I set up a webcam overlooking everything so she’ll be able to Skype in and watch from her phone. I’ll certainly update my sig with all the details, and will likely have questions along the way (so thanks to everyone in advance). Enjoy the pics!

Designer went a bit overboard with the foliage, but you get the idea. Here are the basics: 17' X 33' 8 person Spa 10' X 6' Tanning Ledge Depth: 3.5' - 6'

Maybe I can take advantage of the natural spring to fill my pool?

Was NOT happy with where they ended the lines....they will be moving it left another 2 or 3 feet when they pour the pad.

Inspector on the webcam this morning.

Welcome, It looks like a great design.. The 1 thing that caught my attention right off is "the natural spring" If they hit standing water you really need them to install some kind of system to allow the water to be drained out from under your pool.. All pools have the ability to "float" out of the ground (they use to have cement boats) I am sure they are installing something, just make sure you know what it is :)

^^ Agree, it may be as simple as a couple of holes left in the gunite to allow the spring water to fill the pool rather than float it (like sea valves in a ship)
When they are ready to plaster they fill them in.
Once they are filled, they are committed to plaster and fill the pool in quick succession.

Looks great! Good luck as the process continues. One comment, if the rendering shows the expected location of post lights, I'll make one recommendation. I'd move them because of the bugs they attract and them being too close to habitated areas.

I'd move the one by the spa to the lower left corner and the one in the upper right corner, over a few more feet near the palm tree location.

Ok, two comments...I'd also put them both on dimmers (or one dimmer if on the same switch). Outdoor dimmers are pricey but very worthwhile. I have mine set to go off at midnight through the automation system. So if it's dark out back, I know I've stayed up too late!

The 1 thing that caught my attention right off is "the natural spring" If they hit standing water you really need them to install some kind of system to allow the water to be drained out from under your pool..

^^ Agree, it may be as simple as a couple of holes left in the gunite to allow the spring water to fill the pool rather than float it (like sea valves in a ship)
When they are ready to plaster they fill them in.
Once they are filled, they are committed to plaster and fill the pool in quick succession.

That was a huge concern for me and I was sure to ask how they would handle it. PB said that they leave weeping holes in all of their shells, regardless of seeing water or not, just for that very reason.

You're going to love that and the design looks amazing! Congratulations Tucker!

Thank you sir! I'm certain that we will. 2 kids just starting elementary should make for many great memories.

Looks great! Good luck as the process continues. One comment, if the rendering shows the expected location of post lights, I'll make one recommendation. I'd move them because of the bugs they attract and them being too close to habitated areas.

I'd move the one by the spa to the lower left corner and the one in the upper right corner, over a few more feet near the palm tree location.

Ok, two comments...I'd also put them both on dimmers (or one dimmer if on the same switch). Outdoor dimmers are pricey but very worthwhile. I have mine set to go off at midnight through the automation system. So if it's dark out back, I know I've stayed up too late!

Bugs certainly do like light don't they. We are installing the light posts, however not the same as the rendering shows. Ours will have only a single lamp and I am actually going with the Philips Hue color LED lights. We will be able to not only dim them to our preference, but change the color of them to match whatever ambiance we are trying to achieve. I will have them in the post lights, as well as 2 canned lights under my porch. I have them throughout my home and we absolutely love them. I know that Philips will not guarantee that they will be able to stand up to the elements. However I have done some homework and have yet to find anyone that has used them outside, and have them stop working. So it's an expensive chance, but the wife gave me permission to try them outside once.

They are here now doing their thing...so I'll get some pics and post them up later. Thank you to everyone for taking the time!

Matt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Thanks! As you can imagine, we are super excited.

Good job training the kid! LOL

Kim

Definitely a teaching moment. :)

So after discussing the "spring" with the PB, he said that it's actually not a spring at all; but rather just a high water shelf. He said he sees it in about 50% of the pools that they do (they cover a 70 mile radius from their home office). They left 4 big weep holes and as of this morning, no sign of water. 5:30am came real quick this morning to get out there and water it for a good 45 mins. I bought a sprinkler and timer, so I'll get to play around with that this evening; maybe buy myself a few more Snooze Button presses.

Here are some pics of the finished product!

You can really see the weep holes in this one.

Thanks!

20160404_175341_zpszn6cw1k7.jpg

[/URL]

quick question on the hot tub, more for other experts in here than OP perhaps....

Whats the opinion on blower connections to hot tubs?

better to have separate piping for air and water?

our last home hot tub shared piping for blower and water. meant you could not have both water heating / circulating and air blowing at same time.

quick question on the hot tub, more for other experts in here than OP perhaps....

Whats the opinion on blower connections to hot tubs?

better to have separate piping for air and water?

our last home hot tub shared piping for blower and water. meant you could not have both water heating / circulating and air blowing at same time.

Mine has shared jet/blower piping and I can have any combination of heat/bubbles/jets.

I do have a couple of jets in the spa that are looped in with pool circulation that do not run at all in spa mode.

I'll definitely defer to the experts on this one.

That's going to be REALLY nice. Perfect size for the yard!

Looks awesome! Sweet design cant wait to see the end result!

Nice design and size of pool.Have you decided on your plaster and finishes?

Thanks! There's actually a lot more yard on the other side that stretches down the side of the house into the back yard. Unfortunately that's also where they had to bring the heavy equipment in. So that will all need new irrigation lines as well as sod. As for the plaster/finish, we are going with Stonescapes. We aren't fully decided on regular or mini pebble (any and all replies on experiences with either are welcome and most certainly appreciated). PB has regular pebble and swears by it, however his daughter has mini pebble and says he's a crazy old man.

Also we have narrowed the color down to Tropics Blue, Tahoe Blue, and Midnight Blue. We looked at a pool Saturday that had Midnight Blue mini pebble and I have to say, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. PB's daughter has Tropics, and her friend just down the road from her has Tahoe. So we will be seeing those in person soon.

Do you KNOW how lucky you are? To be able to see your pics in real life is a dream come true for many pool builders!

Can't wait to see it !

Kim

Absolutely fortunate to be the one making the decisions on the final product (or at least my wife lets me think I'm making the decisions). I know many people with pools; yet none were a part of the construction of it. Definitely won't take that for granted.

Mine has shared jet/blower piping and I can have any combination of heat/bubbles/jets.

I do have a couple of jets in the spa that are looped in with pool circulation that do not run at all in spa mode.

dunno what was going on with mine then, air never made it thru the piping when the water was circulating. I ended up never using the bubbles, the bubble noise was a big deal but the best feeling ever was feeling the heat kick in on the water jets on a chilly day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.