I had maybe 20 to 25 lbs. of calcium hypochlorite (old shock) which had been sitting around for years, which I put in the pool about 48 hours ago. (Actually thought at the time that it was calcium chloride which I had just stored in the bucket, but realized later it was the hypo.) I put it in the pool to raise calcium, which was low (40-60 I think). Now my calcium is 160 and rising, but my pH jumped from 7.2 to 8.0, and the pool now looks like radioactive milk!
I remember now someone telling me years ago that I could use the hypo to raise my calcium (I don't use hypo anymore, since I have the SWG). The stuff I will say really seemed to have lost ALL its chlorinating punch or properties, because there was no chlorine smell and the pool chlorine level did not change after it was introduced. It was very much hydrated & mushy from sitting around so long. Trying to decide best way to get the milkiness out. It has been there 2 days and doesn't seem to be going away. I have alum and am considering trying to floc it out. Also wondering if acid would help dissolve it. It certainly could use the downward pH adjustment now. I am thinking all the white suspended stuff is maybe unconverted lime or calcium carbonate (think limestone or agricultural lime), from the reading I have done.
Thoughts, please? (Please, go easy on me for the foolishness, and for even thinking of storing things in buckets labeled as something else!)