New Pool Houston, Texas need some opinions good or bad!

Garttx

Silver Supporter
Mar 25, 2016
Pearland
Good Morning All,

First post after doing A LOT of lurking around! My wife and I have three kids 11, 9 and 6 and are interested in getting a pool. I have two builders that I am looking at for completing the work. I have a design that we are working with but wanted some advice. I am new to this so I may not be giving all the right information so forgive me in advance.

The spa is 8' and the sun shelf is 12' X 8' then the rest of the pool. The calculations are around 27,000 gallons. Our yard is wide but narrow due to 14' easement. Is it a bad idea to have the Jacuzzi attached to the sun shelf? Any other questions or concerns let me know!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 327
Hi! :wave: Welcome to TFP

I wouldn't say it's bad to have the spa attached by the sunshelf. It's all personal preference.

In looking at your design, one thing I see is the the sun shelf location kind of limits the overall distance one can swim in a straight line. I might consider locating the sun shelf nearer the house - in the lower area of the pool in your diagram. Also, give consideration to the sun shelf depth. How do you plan to use the shelf? If the shelf is the first step into the pool, it will have an actual water depth of 6-9 inches - if the second step in will be maybe 14-20 inches deep. If your will use it to put a lounge chair on, do you want the water touching you while sitting/reclining or not?

You may also want to put up a list of the proposed pool equipment to get feedback on that also.

Thanks so much for the reply. It is greatly appreciated. The original design was for the sunshelf (same size) to be in the bottom area that you are talking about at 6" deep. I believe we will be moving it back. It is just so challenging to determine if this is a good size pool for us for the investment. Here are some of the specs:

Size
- 34'-6" x 24'-0"
- 604 sf / 98 lf
- 3'-6" to 5'-0" to 8'-0" depth profile
- 8'-0" Diameter Spa
- 23,971 gallons

Equipment
- Jandy Stealth 2 hp circulation pump
- Jandy Flo Pro 2 hp water feature pump
- Jandy Flo Pro 2 hp spa booster pump
- Jandy 580 sf Micro Media filter
- Jandy JXi 400,000 btu natural gas heater
- Polaris 2 hp air blower
- CMP In-line chlorinator
- (2) Jandy Watercolors LED pool lights
- (1) Jandy Watercolors LED spa light
- Polaris 3900 Sport automatic pool cleaner with booster pump
- Jandy Aqualink computerized controls with PS8 remote

Features
- 12" Raised spa with flagstone cap and surround
- Stacked stone spa spillway
- Four ton moss rock waterfall on notched pool beam
- Moss rock cap on notched pool beam (per plan)
- Flagstone pool coping
- Standard waterline tile (6" band)
- Tile trim all steps and benches
- (2) Brass skimmer covers
- Tanning ledge @ 6" depth
- (1) Brass, air infused, flush mounted bubbler fountain
- Sunstone upgrade interior pool finish

Additional Features
- New Multicoat decks (635 sf per plan)
- Top existing patio with Multicoat (720 sf sf)
- Area drain system for decks
- Interfab "X-Stream2" pool slide

Where the steps are currently arranged(assuming people use them) people exiting the pool will have to cross over/around someone in a lounge chair on the ledge. I'd relocate the steps on the side of the ledge closer to the house, or relocate the ledge all together to the bubbled out section in the middle of the pool.

The pool has nice flowing curves, I'm wondering if the irregular curves of the hot tub will look out of place once built. It stuck out to me when I first looked at the pool. I'd add more seating surface around the perimeter of the pool.

It is pretty similar to mine! (except for your wide part in the middle). We love it. Let me see if I can find a pic with measurements on it to compare.

What a neat pool. I would LOVE to see the area it is going in to see what you are working with.

I would put the sun shelf in the bump out or at least move the steps like mentioned above. I would also add an bench on the side of the water fall.

Kim

First off thanks again for the responses! It is nice to have others that have been there and done that! I have attached the original drawing that was done for us. The "garage" is future plan but I needed this pool drawing done to make sure I have enough room for the pool. Also the deep end will be 8'. I apologize for the poor quality it would not let me upload the 200 x 200 resolution one. View attachment Pool 2.pdf

As you are well aware, a lot of decisions. And always nice to bounce it off others to give you other perspectives.

I agree with isolating the entry steps to one side or another. And if the lounge chairs aren't on the sunshelf, it gives younger kids an in-water edge to jump off of. My 3 year old grandson loves jumping off the shelf into the deeper part of the pool.

+1 for Kim's idea of adding a bench on the side under the water fall (watch her, she LOVES spending other people's money - LOL).

I see you are installing a slide. Give consideration to water entry slide requirements when placing the slide and entry stairs. There is some good info at the Interfab website on this.

I bet your kids can't wait! Looking forward to seeing your build unfold - take lots of pictures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

I agree that pool 2 is better laid out.

On pictures, upload pics to Photobucket, copy the IMG code to the right and paste it in your post.

Thanks for all the responses and replies! Also the technical support for the photos. Here is the latest drawing from PB1 and description. I did move the bench (thanks Kim) and increased the rock from 4-5 ton. The PB said it will look good for that size pool. The chairs are only there to show that I could put them in but we are not going to do that. They are going to stub up for the slide I will put in later. I am concerned about having to handle a 28k gallon pool but with the help of this forum I will figure it out!

Size
- 38'-0" x 24'-0"
- 678 sf / 105 lf
- 3'-6" to 8'-0" depth profile
- 9'-6" x 7'-0" Freeform spa
- 28,751 gallons

Equipment
* Another option would be to use (4) Jandy nicheless LED in the pool, (1) in the spa (same price)

Features
- Five ton moss rock waterfall on notched pool beam
- 6" Raised pool beam with flagstone cap and tile facing (31')
- Flagstone pool coping

Additional Features
- New Multicoat decks (655 sf per plan)
- Stub out water line for future slide

Also Included
- City Permits
- HOA
- All de-watering and cave in costs
- Complete electrical
- Gas line run from meter to heater location
- Standard maintenance tools and test kit

I really like the updated design!

I am concerned about having to handle a 28k gallon pool but with the help of this forum I will figure it out!

The members here will certainly help you to get a handle on it. No difference taking care of your 28k pool versus a 5k pool, except the quantity of chlorine, MA, etc. to add. You've already made your best pool decision by becoming a member here. Along with everyone's help, a little reading and one of the recommended test kits (TF100 is your best bang for the buck) you will have a trouble free pool.

I also live in Houston and your pool design is similar to ours, built by Cypress Custom Pools. especially the hot tub. The one suggestion I would have is to think about weather you really want that sun deck. I say this because in the heat of our summers that sun deck quickly turns into a water heater. It doesn't take long before what you thought would be a cooling way to sunbathe feels more like sitting in your heated up hot tub. I know, we have one, and it's the one thing I would change/do without in retrospect. Our pool was built in March 2008, and by late June the water temperature of our 25K gallon pool was already a constant 92 to 94 degrees. I place a thermometer on the sun deck one day, and even with the pump running and water circulating the water on the deck was 98 degrees. My advice would be to get some nice floating lounge chairs instead and take the money you save and purchase a good pool chiller. My Glacier Pool Chiller is the best investment I've made, for it's the difference between not swimming because the water is just to hot to be enjoyable, and looking forward to jumping in the cool 82 degree water in the middle of August after mowing the yard.

Iceburg Glacier Pool Cooler 30,000 Gal | GPC-210

Thank you Kim. I wish I could take credit for the design but I had nothing to do with it other than approving it. I just showed him the space we had to work with and within a week they came up with this design. We really liked how the pool follow the flow of the house. As for the chiller, it is basically a swamp cooler so I was skeptical on how effective it would be in humid climate. My skepticism evaporated when overnight after it was installed a brought the pool temperature down from 93 to 87. We have had it now for eight years and because of the simplicity of what it is we have not had one problem with it. During the summer when we have stretches of cool days, meaning it doesn't break 100, my wife is even complain the pool gets too cool. I love that. One other suggestion if I may. Consider a DE filter. The level of water clarity they produce is amazing. You have a great lighting system in mind and you want the clearest water possible to bring out all its beauty. In the nighttime pictures below the drains you see are at 8 feet.

Good evening!! We have been bouncing back and forth with PB. That pool is beautiful! Thanks for all the replies it is truly appreciated! I asked about the pool chiller and it is an up charge of 4500.00 for the GPC 215. Seemed high to me but then again I don't know what all is involved in the install. We are definitely are interested in it. My wife wants to keep the sun shelf so there you have it����. Is there anything in the above specs that I am missing or anything we might do different? I am not trying to not have bad forum edicate but regarding costs with chiller we are around 75k. I know each pool is different etc but is that a good range for this size of pool? It seems higher than I expected but then again I am not a pool expert! Thanks again all!

Size
- 38'-0" x 24'-0"
- 678 sf / 105 lf
- 3'-6" to 8'-0" depth profile
- 9'-6" x 7'-0" Freeform spa
- 28,751 gallons

Equipment
* Another option would be to use (4) Jandy nicheless LED in the pool, (1) in the spa (same price)

Features
- Five ton moss rock waterfall on notched pool beam
- 6" Raised pool beam with flagstone cap and tile facing (31')
- Flagstone pool coping

Additional Features
- New Multicoat decks (655 sf per plan)
- Stub out water line for future slide

Also Included
- City Permits
- HOA
- All de-watering and cave in costs
- Complete electrical
- Gas line run from meter to heater location
- Standard maintenance tools and test kit
Thanks again all!!

We are getting close to starting. I have one question please regarding if you like your sun shelf / tanning ledge. Ffournier made some good points about not having one and I would like some other opinions of those who have been there done that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.