low suction after heater install

Mar 31, 2016
Webster Texas
For years I had a hayward gas heater...everything worked great. It went out, so I just plumbed it out of the loop for about 2 years. I've now installed a Pentair max-e-therm 400 (r2d2) and it seems that my arneson pool cleaner (suction) isn't working as well. Also after cleaning the de filter and recharging it, it used to run under 10 lbs. of pressure, and now it's always higher than it used to be. My question is, has anyone run into a problem like this? Could this heater cause a restriction? I bought it brand new. Thanks in advance! Herb

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It is fairly normal for adding a heater (especially if all flow is going through it) to add head loss and thus increase the pressure reading in the filter. If you had a loss of suction, then the pressure would actually drop in the filter because you are moving less water.

With the added heater, your flow rates likely did drop a little, but the fact that the pressure rose in the heater indicates that there is not likely anything wrong on the suction side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.