Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inground Pool Project in MA_ pavers or stamped concrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Inground Pool Project in MA_ pavers or stamped concrete?

I am going to be moving forward with an 18'x44' double roman ended vinyl lined pool at the end of May. We are going the swg route but am having trouble deciding on pavers or stamp concrete. We got a good price on both but I just want to make sure I am making the right decision especially being in Central Mass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Inground Pool Project in MA_ pavers or stamped concrete?

Welcome to TFP!

One serious problem with pavers is the difficulty in connecting them to the bonding system. Concrete decks are connected by running the bonding wire to the rebar, but there is no rebar in the paver deck. A copper grid under the pavers would probably work, but there doesn't seem to be an industry accepted method for paver bonding.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The problem with stamped concrete in MA is they only make two types. 1) Cracked concrete 2) Concrete that will crack. I'm in Southern NH and just changed my cracked up concrete deck to pavers. The deck on my pool was pretty messed up from freeze thaw cycles and it had been that way for years. Some of the elevation changes were so bad it was becoming a trip hazard in the summer. I rarely see any concrete pad work in our area that isn't damaged from small cracks that only need 1 winter to turn into big cracks. Pavers are more expensive but the way I see it is that's a one time cost because they can always be reset easily no matter what the ground under them decides to do. They also give you the ability to fix plumbing issues or run new electrical after the fact which a poured option prevents.
    My Restoration Thread: Making an old pool NEW again

16x32/28,000 gallons/Twin 400GPH waterfalls off stone faced diving platform/1,200 perimeter LED lighs/Sand filter/2hp Pentair/VERA Automation/Southern NH

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for help, we are leaning more towards pavers. We received similar priced quotes mainly because we are looking at basic pavers not the high end architecture type. We have had stone work done by the paver guy in the past so we really trust what he does and says.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Burtonjeeplj View Post
    Thanks for help, we are leaning more towards pavers. We received similar priced quotes mainly because we are looking at basic pavers not the high end architecture type. We have had stone work done by the paver guy in the past so we really trust what he does and says.
    Good choice. I had pavers with a previous pool. It looks great. Cracks are, by definition, irrelevant. Pavers can have a natural non-slip surface. And you can rather easily get to your plumbing should you really need to dig it up. For me, pavers had the added advantage of not being "permanent" so I was able to extend my pool decking into the utility easement on my property.

The only problem I had with them is that the paver surface could get feet-burningly hot in the August Texas sun....
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the concrete around the pool, then pavers at either end. I bought the house with the pool, but I like knowing that the pavers allow for easier access to the plumbing.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

We debated this as well and settled on pavers.

1. The quotes were virtually identical in our area.
    2. Every piece of concrete in Northern NJ cracks.
    3. I've personally witnessed how slippery stamped concrete can be. I watched kid after kid fall and skin knees/elbows and cry at my wife's boss' pool party last Labor Day. To me screaming injured kids aren't part of a fun day in the pool. The pavers we chose are Cambridge brand and they have a lot of texture that should provide a lot of traction.

ac

8. Back To Top    #8

Pavers may be nice, but when you start getting shocked when you go to get out of the pool because they aren't bonded it's going to take the edge off their appearance.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

9. Back To Top    #9

We have pavers here in NH and I would do it again in a second. Cracked concrete is not for me.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Pavers may be nice, but when you start getting shocked when you go to get out of the pool because they aren't bonded it's going to take the edge off their appearance.
    Never had that happen or even heard of it happening. Not saying it can't happen but I've seen a whole lot more cracked concrete causing trip hazards than injury by paver electrocution.
    My Restoration Thread: Making an old pool NEW again

16x32/28,000 gallons/Twin 400GPH waterfalls off stone faced diving platform/1,200 perimeter LED lighs/Sand filter/2hp Pentair/VERA Automation/Southern NH

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Zillions of people have pavers by pools. Death by shock on pavers not too common it seems. Maybe just under-reported. I'm sure there are best practices to be followed though...of which I'm not familiar.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Getting shocked is a non issue if you have a qualified electrician who knows how and does properly perform the work. If that is happening it's not a paver issue. I'm putting techo bloc blu 60 on my stair end and also have it for a patio (pool put in last spring too). The other 3 sides will be grass with 2' x 2' slabs placed set in the grass. I was also thinking concrete but I know it will crack and maybe shift so I decided to spend for the pavers. I don't think you'll ever regret it if you can swing it $ wise.

Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

13. Back To Top    #13

I thought that you only need a 3 foot perimiter for bonding... so could you do a 3 foot border then transition to pavers?
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

The ONLY reason a deck needs to be bonded is if it has steel in it. Unless you are installing steel pavers . . .

There is no electrical continuity in a paver deck.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    The ONLY reason a deck needs to be bonded is if it has steel in it. Unless you are installing steel pavers . . .

There is no electrical continuity in a paver deck.
    Incorrect. Wet concrete conducts electricity, and we have numerous members with problems with decks shocking them because they have no rebar to be bonded.

Though code only requires the reinforcing steel to be bonded, failing to bond a deck will cause problems so all concrete decks need bonded mesh or rebar.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

We signed a contract for this pool last week and will either start building at the end of the month or 3rd work in May. We might be able to start end of this month if there is a cancellation. I was initially going the SWG route but my PB mentioned UV/Ozone as an option to avoid any long term damage that SWG brings with it. Anyone have any opinions on UV/Ozone?

17. Back To Top    #17

If history is any indicator you will get beat up around here for getting an Ozone system
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

18. Back To Top    #18

Understandable haha....i figured it was worth asking since this is my first time with a pool.

19. Back To Top    #19

Here ya go! We want you to learn and know the whys of everything we do or do not do.

Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by doobs41378 View Post
    If history is any indicator you will get beat up around here for getting an Ozone system
    It's for your own good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast