Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you use to shield Stenner tank from the sun?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you use to shield Stenner tank from the sun?

Soon I'm going to install a Stenner auto feed system with the grey 15 gallon Stenner tank. The equipment pad gets primarily morning sun. Some people have said they used a trash can to shield from direct sun. I was planning on buying a light colored trash can and leaving the top open or turn it upside down and louver the top. However, I can't find and light colors anymore....seems they're all black or gray, which will just absorb the heat.....I know I can build something, but I'd rather not spend the time if there are better ideas out there....and suggestions?
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: What do you use to shield Stenner tank from the sun?

Short of building something that looks nice, you might be able to find an end table (outdoor furniture) that is waterproof and do the job. I am not sure how nice that would look, however.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How about a light grey trash can?

Grey Plastic Trash Can at FoodServiceDirect.com!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

What's wrong with painting a trash can white? Just scuff it up a little so the paint has something to bite.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Man I would have to move if my wife found out I covered the Stenner with a trash can!!!!
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

My trashcan is dark brown and will get hot on outside but 15 gallon tank inside is cool.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the responses....I guess I just assumed a black/gray can would heat up excessively, but I'll give one a try...and paint it a light color if it doesn't work. I like the light gray one, but between the cost and shipping, it's getting very expensive for a trash can.
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 440dodge440 View Post
    Thanks for the responses....I guess I just assumed a black/gray can would heat up excessively, but I'll give one a try...and paint it a light color if it doesn't work. I like the light gray one, but between the cost and shipping, it's getting very expensive for a trash can.
    You can pick up a Rubbermaid trash can at Lowes or Home Depot. Why pay shipping?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    You can pick up a Rubbermaid trash can at Lowes or Home Depot. Why pay shipping?
    That was a response to the link in post #3...I checked online- the Lowes & Home Depot near me do not have light colors...but since the plan changed, I'm not limiting the search to light colors...
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

I am burying my tank to keep it cool. I need to finish the install with some insulation around the upper 2' of the tank and then backfill with gravel and sand. I'll finish it off with some sort of cover to keep rain out. I'm hoping to keep the average temp of the contents below 70 F. I'll run the Stenner tubing inside a flex duct or PVC that is clamped to the pad to keep it out of harms way. I paid $35 locally for the HDPE drum, $10 for some rigid foam board, and $100 for my gardener to dig the hole.

That said, containing the tank in a trash can is easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

You could go nutz...

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.
    200 lb. Sand Filter w/Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX 1.5 H.P. 2 Spd. pump
    Stenner Injection Pump System

12. Back To Top    #12

Very well done sir!
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Mine was some kind of weatherbeaten deck box from suncast. It was sunbaked and gray. I cut the bottom out of it, since the tank would crush the old plastic bottom. It sits directly on a piece of thick travertine. I primed it and then painted it with latex house paint to match my house. The lid works nicely. I dremeled a hole for the outlet tubing.

level control tie in.jpg
    23,000 gal Liq. Cl in ground plaster pool. CC150 filter with ECM27SQU VFD pump and polaris cleaner. Second pump for water feature.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just built an enclousure out of thin plywood and painted it with outdoors type paint. Simple and effective. Painted it with white paint for reflection. It keeps the tank cool.
    Finished December 5, 2015. 26,000 gals IG pool w/ 7 ft. dia. Spa, WetEdge Plaster, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo pump for 5 Scuppers. Cleaner booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch 8 panel, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, FNS 60 DE filter, Pentair Racer, 3 Intellibrite LED's, StaRite Max-e-Therm 400k heater, Stenner chlorine metering pump, FloVis flow meter.