Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper test kit

I ordered a k-2006 kit recently but after further reading it seems the tf-100 kit seems more appropriate. This is my first pool and is a brand new install. I've always had a family pool growing up but never managed the water. I paid $60 for the k-2006 but contemplating spending another $100 for the tf-100 and speed stir. Figured it's cheap considering the investment and will save $$$ in the long run. Am I on the right track? Should I return the k-2006? Is it worth hanging on too?
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper test kit

The K-2006 will be fine. If you need to SLAM and test a lot, you may want to order extra reagents (FAS-DPD kit) though. Otherwise, the K-2006 will give you accurate results. You should however order the speed stir. That makes mixing with either kit much better.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ordering the TF100 and having the K-2006 will probably keep you in tests this summer and next summer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I would just keep the K2006 and order the SpeedStir and FAS-DPD and CYA refills.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto. Just order the refills as-needed. It's all the same chemicals and test procedures.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

K-100 is an excellent kit. If you already have 2006, it should be fine. I have the 100, with the speed stir. To be honest, I have not opened the speed stir in 1 year of testing. Its still brand new and in the package.
    Purex Titron FNS DE Filter 25000 gallons approx.
    Century A.O. Smith B855 56Y 2HP Motor. 40x25 (approx). Plaster surface.
    TFT-100 Test Kit.
    Rainbow Lifeguard 320.
    DX5+S Cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well all this talk of this infamous tf-100 kit made me want....

Returned the 2006 thru Amazon and ordered the 100 w speed stir and borate strips just in case.
    Package arrived today and I couldn't be happier
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

We aim to please. If you have any questions with your new toy, let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!