SWG And can't get fc to read

jgendr

May 2, 2009
Ok I have been haveing this problem going on 2 years now.

Open the pool up and cannot get the fc to read.

vinly 24000 inground southern Mississippi

fc 0
tc 1
ph 7.8
ta 120
ch 250
cya doen't change 0-20
salt acording to aqualogic 3000 ppm

I can shock and shock and shock with Cal Hypo and never get the fc to rise. I have just started the drain and refill process thinkin past years of using 3"tab's wacked out the cya.

Have taken samples to the local store and we can adjust all the chem's in range fine but CYA and FC does not budge. Water clear with very little cloudyness. I mean I can see the suction in the bottom of the deep end fine.

I even bought a new salt cell this year thinkin the 3 year old one was dead.

Help With some suggestions

You need to raise the CYA level. With an extremely low CYA level I would not expect you to be able to maintain a FC level

Remember that when you add CYA you need to not clean/backwash for several days to a week afterwards.

See there is my problem,

I don't know what the cya level is, If I strip it the color doesn't even change. Is it possible that the cya level is way too high and the stipes that I used for years doesn't reister an acurite cya ? I'm getting the wife to get a liquid test kit today, and ordering tf110 asap.

It seems that ever since hurricane Katrina I've been having these issues. I can stabilize out the pool and add shock and nothing. The local pool company says I'm in chlorine lock that is why I'm draining and refilling. I figure it is the cheapest for me but most time consuming and I can always start from where it is when full.. if I have high ammonia that will kill the fc too right?

now that I have found this site I hope this year I can get things back into shape. I love the calculator. And plan on following it to a t

jgendr said:
See there is my problem,

I don't know what the cya level is, If I strip it the color doesn't even change. Is it possible that the cya level is way too high and the stipes that I used for years doesn't reister an acurite cya ? I'm getting the wife to get a liquid test kit today, and ordering tf110 asap.

You need to get yourself a good test kit and toss out the strips. The taylor 2006 or the one from this site are both great kits. http://www.tftestkits.net/ Once you get that you can get a good accurate test of your cya.

Mike

Hi jgender,

Apparently the pool store tested your water to be able to say "chlorine lock"? Could you post those test results?

Are you doing a series of drains/refills and testing inbetween (pool store test for now?) to determine where you are with the CYA level?

You want to stop draining when your CYA level hits around 60 to 80 (for most manufacturers).

Have you been to Pool School? There is an article on Water Balance Tips for SWGs. Very helpful.

Yes, toss the strips. I highly recommend the TF100 Test kit, link in my sig. I think that is what you were referring to in your post.

Your problems with the pool will soon be history, but the good thing is that they did lead you to TFP. You are well on your way to being in complete control of your pool :wink:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Great news;

Pool is 3/4 full now and dumped 6 gallons of straight chlorine bleach in it last night. got up this morning and shut the water off so the wife could do laundry and not bounce my well pump ( it only puts out about 4 gallons a minute). Check my levels, and for the first time in almost 3 years I have FC in my pool!!!! Thanks guy's and gal's I'm so glad I found this site. It's great to accually have some answers.

tc = 3
fc = 6
cc = 0
ph = 6.8
ta = 40
cya = 20
salt = 2400

I know; I know I still have a bit to go, but I'm Ton's closer han I have been for a long time. Cya is still low but stop me if I'm wrong, but I'm useing 3" tab's that I have left over from last year mainly to get rid of them and add the CYA back to get it up too par.

I'll have the wife pick up some more chlorine bleach from wally world this after noon. I don't know why the 5 lb's of Cal Hypo didn't even show on the test but from here on out I'll do it the smart way and use the bleach.

Keep ya'll updated and again GREAT SITE!!!!!! GREAT PEEP's!!!!!!!!!!

Please get a good test kit, as advised above. If you are testing with strips they are always inaccurate and will give you misleading information.

IF these recent results are accurate, your PH is way too low, and that is very bad for your pool. I advise you to take a sample to the pool store and get a full set of results ASAP and then post them here so we can advise you what steps to take.

At the very least, Wal-Mart sells an inexpensive 6-way test kit for under $20 that will give you much more accurate PH and CYA levels. It's not the best solution (a TF100 or Taylor K-2006 are the best solution) but much better than continuing to possibly harm your pool by guessing with the strips.

I'm useing the wally world 6 way kit for now and waiting on my tf-100. I also added the salt test too. I'm not starting the swg system untill I get thing in check I don't want to risk killing this new cell. just added some bakin soda to jack up the ta and then recheck the ph in about an hour. here's the steps I'm gonna take:

1) get ta = 120
2) get ph= 7.4
3) get cya = 60
4) add salt = 3200

Should be goldenin a day or so except for the cya

Sounds Like a Plan???????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adjust the PH most of the way first, then retest before adjusting the TA. The TA will change as you adjust the PH.

I would not raise TA that high unless you are using trichlor tablets. If you have a SWG then TA should be around 60-80. With bleach 70-90.

If you have a SWG, I would raise CYA to between 70 and 80.

ok still waiting on my tf-100 kit it was shipped yesterday.

checked chemistry with wally worlds 6 way liquid kit

tc = 2
fc = 3
cc = 0
ph = 7.4 ->7.5
ta = 70
cya = 40???? ran out of solusion (waiting on tf-100 LOL )
salt = 2800
temp = 80

Not bad so far. Gonna get some more salt tomarrow about 3 bags. and waiting on tf-100 to test cya before I add any. Salt system is on cause csi put me at a -.24, we'll see where it goes from here. keep ya'll posted

got my tf-100 today and here's the first readings; (LOVE THIS KIT!!!!!!)

7/may/09

FC - 3.0
CC - 0
TC - 5
PH - 7.2 adding 2lbs of ph up
T/A - 70
CH - 80 GETTING SOME CALCIUM TOMARROW
CYA - 20 ADDED 6 LBS OF STABILIZER AND WILL RECHECK IN A WEEK
salt - 3740 kinda high the aqua rite reads 3200 on instant any way to claibrate the aquarite?
temp 84

pool water is crystle clear and actually looks beautifull thanks all i'll keep ya posted

Between this kit and the pool calulator I have no real need to go back to the pool store except to get certain chemicals. I didn't like them too much anyways because when ever they test my water they only use the dip strips. It's getting harder and harder to find quality pool testing supplies now-a days and this test kit is by far the best I have ever used! Quality is #1 in my book and it's worth every penny it cost!!!! Thanks again to all

jgendr,

You really sound like you're getting a good grasp of the process involved.

I would not raise the pH. 7.2 is just fine and your SWG will tend to raise the pH slowly on it's own. If you have already added it, it's no big deal........just may have to add some muriatric acid a little sooner.

(Thank you very, very much for your comments on the kit)

Ive had this pool for 10 years now and until the last 2 years I never had this kind of trouble. I was beginning to think the my decision to got swg was a mistake. the first 2 years on swg was a dream come true, never had to do hardly anything except minor adjustments. then the hurricane came and thing just went out of wack!!! been fighting the thing ever since. And the pool shop was way too clueless. reading on this site has done wonders, I only wish I would have found ya'll sooner. It would have saved a whole lot of cussin' and money that I have spent.

Thank you Thank you, Thank You!!!!!!!!! I will be definately sending all I know to here!!!!

Not sure if it was a combination of different thing or not;

I drained about half the water out of the pool, while it was half full I shocked it with 6 gallons of chlorine bleach as stated here, and started to refill the pool. as it was refilling ( 2 days or so ) I would through a couple of 3" tab's in the pump basket twice a day to maintain chlorine, that and the fact that the return jets were above the water level served to super airate the water. IDK but I really don't care cause the problem is resolved. :goodjob: :goodjob: Also learned to not trust dip strips as a basis of testing your chemistry and not trust a pool shop that uses dripstrips to test your water!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.