Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is is okay to keep a hot tub in the weather?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Is is okay to keep a hot tub in the weather?

I moved into a new house two years ago and it had a 26' round pool and a 200 gal hot tub. We've been doing great with them and this forum has saved me $$$millions$$$ having never owned a pool and anything before. The hot tub is on the deck off the back of the house and had a 10'x10' Tent/awning/covering (like what you see in the seasonal section of Lowes/HomeDepot). However, this winter was particularly bad and our awning colapsed and shredded and bent to all h*LL. Since we hate the deck and its too small for our needs, we are thinking about putting a patio down. I built a terrible ghetto lean to/shelter over the hot tub for now. THAT being said... I'm wondering if its okay to leave your hot tub out in the elements. Does it hurt it to have the rain coming down on it and snow piling up. We want to take good care of it but my wife was never particularly satisfied with the covering it had. Note: The hot tub does have a folding cover over it (sadly, with a minor rip from the awning coming down on it).

Does anyone have any advice???

Thank you.

Matt
    24', Above-ground vinyl, 14,000 gallon, 1HP 2-speed Jacuzzi Magnetek pump, Jacuzzi Brothers CFR75 cartridge filter, Tork EW103B timer, Hayward 100ID gas heater, Junior Pool rover T robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is is okay to keep a hot tub in the weather?

In general they last longer if protected from the elements, however many of the newer higher quality hot tubs are getting better weatherproof synthetic cabinets so it just depends, the cover will certainly last longer if protected from the elements, sunlight in particular.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed. It should be fine, except for the cover. The UV exposure will cause it to fail sooner and need to be replaced.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Mine has been in the elements for 6 years now, no issues except hail... the inspector said they would replace it and they did... I use Amazon.com : Star brite Waterproofing With PTEF 1 Gallon : Boating Cleaners : Sports Outdoors and it helps very much...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I used a canvas gazebo and converted it to wood roof. I used left over wood from a fencing project. I'll add pics if I can find them...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Your cover will get waterlogged if there's a tear -- duct tape will get you through for a while.
    My hottub is exposed year round up in Michigan. I bought an upgraded cover to handle heavy snow load from the Cover Guy online and its weathering very well. I think you'll be fine, but the better-made the cover, the longer it will last.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

My boyfriend's mom has her hot tub outside. I think she just ordered a new cover this year, the hot tub is about 8/9 years old
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

My hot tub has done only one winter on it in a very cold climate with lots of snow. It has a top of the line cover on it and it still looks new. I brush the snow off with a soft bristle broom. I used 303, which is a UV protectant on it right before it started freezing. I'll put another coat on when temps warm up.
    450 gallon Alaskan Arctic Spa. 3 pumps.