Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Monster

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Monster

New to TFP. Here's the background. We've had the pool for two seasons. The first season was great. Once the pool builder set everything up it was nearly trouble free. The second year was not so good. I would have the water tested at the pool store every now and then. I always felt that spending $75 every time I walked in was a waste. I never tested the water my self and didn't know what to look for even if I did. I got fed-up with it at the end of last season and just switched the breaker to off and walked away. It's been sitting since the end of last Sept without any attention. I have since read the pool school a few times and am getting a better idea of how it's suppose to work. I received the TF-100 test kit on Friday and ran all the tests with the following results. From what I have read on the forums I need to get the PH and TA correct before I start the slam. It seems that they are within range now so I plan on starting the slam next weekend. I ordered a 55 gal barrel of 12.5% bleach and I'm hoping that will do it. Since the water temp is only 60 I was planning on treating it like a standard pool and not a SWG? The cell is removed, once it warms up I was going to put the cell back in and get the salt back up to the correct limit. I would imagine that I will be vacuuming to waste a bunch of times and I don't want to pump all the salt out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm filling from a well.

PH= 7.3 (after 2 gal of Muriatic Acid)
    TA=90
    CYA=60 (at room temp)
    CH+ 125/150
    CDT=0
    20X40X33 Inground, 32K gallon, Vinyl
    SWG, Hayward 2 HP, Hayward DE6020, Prol-Logic
    5 Retuns, 3 Skimmers
    TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Monster

Yup. Consider it a non-SWG pool. What is your current FC/CC?

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree, go off of the non-SWG portion of the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Your pH is good to begin the SLAM. I wouldn't wait though. Start it now. CYA of 60 = SLAM/Shock FC level of 24. Vacuuming to waste - perhaps. Not necessarily every time though. Might depend on the amount of muck and physical debris in your pool. Filling from a well huh? Do you know if you have metals in the well water? Not a big deal at the moment since you have to raise the FC for the SLAM, but afterwards may be important if you use sequestrants. Something to let us know later.

Great job getting that TF-100! You have the right tool for the job. No time like the present. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

A few pointers...

Once the drum arrives, recheck pH and adjust it down to 7.2 if it has risen. Once pH is set, hit it with the bleach.

If your filter has a multiport valve, you could set it to recirculate for the first couple days so it doesn't clog up every two hours. Then you vacuum to waste, and then you start filtering. If you don't have a multiport, go buy a bag of DE or cellulose now, because you will be needing it. Tempting as it may be, you don't want to run the filter without filter media in it. The screens will clog and be ruined. They are only there to provide support for the powder, they aren't supposed to do any filtering.

Also, make sure you have Motrin on hand. Frequent brushing can lead to sore back and shoulders.

Wear old clothes any time you're doing anything around the pool. Unless you like polkadots.

Take pictures. If you pick one good spot, like right above the steps, and take a picture in the same spot every day, you'll see improvements. And you can show off.

Some Inspiration. Most recent are last. Recovering my old inspirational links
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

You got this Red! You have all of the tools you need-TFP membership, good test kit and a willingness to learn and do!

I agree with the others..........get the SLAM started NOW..........Even if you can only test 4 times a day at least you will be days ahead of the game.

Testing schedule-after first cup of coffee, when you get home, after dinner, before bed.

Please take and share your first picture...........and all others that follow. We LOVE to watch a good green to clean!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are some pictures of the pool today. The 55 gal drum arrived today. I'm going to double check the PH in the morning and adjust if needed. I'll start the slam when I get home from work. I have to pick up a pump to get the bleach out of the drum. More pictures to follow.

Thanks again for all the great advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5 Retuns, 3 Skimmers
    TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

OK I am fairly new here so this may have happened before but a 55gal drum to SLAM that's awesome.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

8. Back To Top    #8

HA! I'm fairly not new here and that is the first 55 gallon drum of bleach I've seen too! Totally awesome!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

I think you are definitely good with 55 gallons of 12.5%!! Mine looked as bad as yours and I will probably finish up around 15 gallons of 8.25% (smaller pool but same shock level). Just curious where you got the drum from? Also some of the pros might be able to chime in here, but I am of the understanding that chlorine starts losing it's potency with time so just wondering if bulk bleach is a good idea in general. Post some update pics as you start slamming, good luck!
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

10. Back To Top    #10

Keep that drum in a cool n dark place n it should last you awhile.

Thats a pretty big pool too. I like it!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I have to say this IS the first time I have seen/heard of anyone getting one. I think the size would do me in for something like that. I have a hard enough time with my 2.5 gal jugs LOL.

Make sure to keep is shaded and cool. We don't want it to turn into a big tub of salt water!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Back when I recovered the black water swamp, I actually used that much and should have gotten a drum!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

13. Back To Top    #13

Good luck to you, Red. You're definitely in good hands and it seems like you definitely have all of your ducks in a row. This'll be a piece of cake.
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

14. Back To Top    #14

I got home from work and moved the 55 gal drum to a dark place in the garage. I added 6 gallons of 12.5% bleach at 5pm. I didn't get the chance to stay around and check the bleach level until I got home at 10pm. It was at FC 19, CC2, TC21. Pool math said to put in another gallon to raise it back up to FC24. It's hard to tell since it's dark out, but the water looks less green. I'll recheck everything in the morning before I head off to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5 Retuns, 3 Skimmers
    TF-100 Test Kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Nice tractor!

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to adjust your eyeballs down and away from skimmers to improve circulation. Maybe you were trying to lower TA by pointing them up? Circulation is more important now if so.

16. Back To Top    #16

I want that tractor! That is my dream tool to have..............one day.

Kim