Safety cover to keep kids out

StephL

Jun 15, 2015
Dewinton, Alberta
We are in year 2 of owning our 27ft round above-ground pool. Last year, we simply took the A-frame ladder in and out when we went in, and our two small children (6 and 3) were not able to access it any other way. This year, we are building a partial deck around half of the pool, and I'd like to get a safety cover to add in another level of protection to keep the kiddos out. We aren't near a lot of trees, so a solid cover isn't necessary (I've seen some that are mesh). We closed this year without any cover at all due to our heavy snowfalls and we opened a gorgeous crystal blue :)

Ok, so I'd like to see pics of your set up if you have a safety cover on your above ground pool. Preferably I'd like to I guess mount it to the deck on the one side and mount it to the uprights or rail on the side without a deck? Last year we used a solar cover (that we just physically put on and took off, no roller, what a pain). If you use a mesh safety cover, do you still throw your solar cover on underneath to retain heat? Is there any system that allows for a safety cover to be on a roller, or do you just walk around and unclip it every time you use it?

Thanks!!

I do not know much about them but most of what I have seen is for extended periods of nonuse, like covering for winter... They do have the inground covers like below that are on tracks but nothing like that for above grounds that I know of... Most of the deck options use a locking gate of some kind.

Yeah, we plan to do a self-closing, locking gate as well, to keep them off the deck, but I'm just worried that if they (or family friends' kids) happen to make it over the gate somehow, a safety cover would offer that kind of last line of defence....and the deck only goes part way around the pool so I have images in my head of curious kids climbing over the walls. We live on an acreage so I'm not worried about neighborhood children at all, just my own (my littlest is just 4 months but next year he's going to be at that really troublesome kind of age!) Hmmmmm....

The best defense is to teach them how to swim... this summer get the 4 month old in there swimming, you will not believe how fast they pick it up...

Also, make "no exception rules" no one in or near the pool when adults are not there "EVER".

Putting a fence around the pool connected to the deck will also prevent people from getting to the pool.. I have a 6 foot fence around my back yard so no one can get to it without us knowing. it does not need to be an expensive one, just something to stop people.

I really do not know about covers as we do not close or cover our pool here in FL. BUT I do want to cover another reason we do not............the cats....our biggest fear is that one of the cats will walk on the cover and it collapses with them trap in it :(
I worry about the same thing with kids but even more so as they weigh more.

I am not saying there is not a cover that can work for what you want but make sure it is rated for it.

Now go give those sweeties a hug for me!

Kim

Ok, so we have two cats as well. That's something I'm really worried about - the solar cover (it just floats on the pool), if the cats (or a kid!) does fall in, it's going to make swimming to the edge extremely difficult.

KimKats, you don't use a cover at all? I guess you probably don't deal with temp drops at night eh, lol? Hmmm ... a lot to think about.

No cover at all. Our over night temps do drop (30 or so) during the winter but that is NOTHING compared to yours so.....

I like the idea of the fence with an alarm on the water..........I forget what they are called. I bet a google search will lead you in the right direction.

Kim

I've never seen a safety cover for an above ground pool.

I've seen it done. You'll probably end up using a combination of wood deck anchors on your deck side, and extended straps (sometimes referred to as Y-straps) with lawn stakes on the exposed side. While this will probably offer you exactly what you're looking for, be advised that it may not be considered a 'true' safety cover due to the lawn stakes, and thus you may not have the same warranty / level of safety that you would with a concrete deck-mount IG safety cover. If I recall correctly, I've ordered Loop Loc style covers in this application for semi-exposed / into a slope AGs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.