Refill after AA treatment

Apr 3, 2016
Baton Rouge, La
I'm new to the site though I have used it to get info on the AA treatment. Quick question. After lots of reading I believe that now that the stains are gone i want to replace the water and start fresh. My idea with my 32x16 vinyl liner pool is to proceed with dumping roughly 1/3 of water,refilling, and repeat 3 or 4 times. Reason being is that I have battled metal stains again this year and it's getting old. My thought is now that the metal is in the water and sequestered that I get rid of it as best I can. I can keep sequestering it forever or start fresh. Here in Lousiana water is cheap and we have no problems dumping large quantities at a time into the drainage canals. Also at this time I'll be switching to the bleach borax and bakin soda treatment plan you all advise. I'm also changing out my filter sand to avoid and metal trapped in there that could make me pull my hair out if it resettled after this. It's an expensive process either way, but I'd rather have a clean nice pool to use this summer. Any thoughts? Pros/cons you experts might have before I begin? Thanks for all the advice so far. I've learned a lot over past couple weeks of reading forums here.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, that will get rid of the metal in the water now. What is the source of the metal in the water to begin with? If it is in your source water then it won't help to drain and refill. +1 to a clean pool for summer! :sunny:

Tell us more about your pool by adding your info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Source was twofold. First a kids toy that was in the pool over the winter that rusted badly. And second an overuse of copper based algecide. My beginners mistake unfortunately. The water in Baton Rouge is some of the cleanest in the country (who would have thought that) and is extremely free of anything. It is soft water though. So not sure about increase the hardness. I know the "pool experts" would sell
Me a bucket full of something but maybe there is a more natural way to do this. Still need to research that one. If it's even truely needed.

Ok, that is a good plan then. LOL on clean water in baton rouge, 7 years of living in new orleans would definitely make me question that! Whether or not you need to increase the hardness depends on what kind of pool you have.

Here is a handy page about pool chemicals, what they are, what they do and how to add them, including increasing water hardness. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

the best way to find out what your pool needs is a great test kit, we recommend the Tf100 or the Taylor K-2006C ( I love my TF100) once you recieve your test kit we can better answer what your water needs :) The links are in my sig below

Ordering the kit now. Thanks for the tip on a good one.

And pooldv, I thought same thing but in men's health it was 2nd only to Denver water. Some underground limestone aquifer stuff going on here that makes it so pure. I Lived in NOLA for a while too. Trust me it's night and day.

I'll let you know how it goes. Looking forward to no staining this summer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.