Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Pebble Pool Finish

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Pebble Pool Finish

We are in the early phases of building our first ever husband and I have searched tons of photos and every time we both love a pool it is a black pebble. So, we told our PB that that is the finish we wanted to go with. She is VERY strongly trying to discourage us from this saying:

-We won't be able to see if Algae is building
    -It won't reflect at night
    -It will look poor with our very light grey/white tiles

This pebble will be polished in the spa and unpolished in the wet deck and pool (ranging 3-6 feet)..about half the pool is in the sun and half is in the shade...we live in Las Vegas

Can anyone offer any insight on these points about the black pebble? Is there something that will give us that dark lagoon feel without the problems she has brought to our attention?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Black Pebble Pool Finish

Hello and welcome to TFP! Well, the first thing I would say to your pool builder is .... "Who is paying for this pool anyways?" She should be more worried about making you happy. If you want black pebble, then black pebble it is. But I will say this .... while algae can have a greenish, cloudy appearance, it is not always visibly apparent in a pool, especially in its early stages. For that reason, TFP pool owners test their water consistently and typically avoid algae and/or know it may be coming ahead of time. Therefore, they know how to treat their water. Since I don't have a black pool surface myself, I can't verify personally, but at night I would still think that pool lighting will still have a nice appearance. As for how it looks with grey/white tiles, black goes with everything. That's my wardrobe rule states anyways. It's your choice. She can recommend or provide some experience/pictures, but in the end it's your call. Do what makes you happy. Maybe some other TFP owners will reply who have such a surface. Welcome to TFP.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Certainly, it is your call but your PB may have a point or two.

I can't envision that pool looking really super at night.

I think the algae argument is bogus but there are some pretty good reasons why very, very few pools have a black surface.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

She is wrong on all counts. Black pools are the most reflective of all. I have had algae twice in 4 years and didn't have any trouble figuring it out. How it will look with your tile is a personal choice, if you like it then you like it. We have no regrets going with a black bottom pool. We have a lot of trees and part sun part shade also. It is very natural, lagoony, reflective, the water color changes with sky, clouds and weather. Pics in our build thread, link in sig.

Other things I have heard is you can't see your kids. Wrong. You can't see snakes. Wrong, I saw both snakes just fine! uh-oh!

Our PB has lots of pebble pics their website, can't remember if there are some black bottom pools. Reber Pools
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

The PB that did our pebble sheen refinish indicated that the darker finishes water temp typically run about 5-6 degree's warmer than the lighter finishes. We have aqua blue which is lighter so I don't know if this holds true or not. Something to consider especially in hotter climates.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

6. Back To Top    #6
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If your Henderson is the one in Nevada, Calcium Scale is a very real threat, and a black finish will look the very worst if even a little bit starts forming. It may also get too hot. Diving in 95 water on a 110 day is not terribly refreshing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl

Well I don't have a black finish I do have a very dark blue finish. It's a quartzscapes finish and I love it. When we were getting quotes for the pool I have several PB try to discourage me from a dark finish. I'm so glad I didn't listen. We wanted our pool the color of the deep blue ocean. And that just what we got. And I wouldn't change a thing. It's true the darker finish keep the water temps warmer. I added a chiller to my heatpump.

17x 30 rectangular pool 17x5 splash pad, with rasied spa 6x5 with spillover built October 2015. Quartzscapes Barbados blue finish. Jandy 1.5 horsepower 2 speed pump. Jandy aquapure SWG. Gulfstream heat pump with chiller. Great White vacuum. T-100 test kit.