Acid wash etching - normal or excessive?

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenix
Had my pool acid washed for the 1st time yesterday. It was done by the company that services my pool chems. I've never had it done before so I'm not sure what results to expect, but it seems to me that too much acid was used. The floor feels like coarse sandpaper and the plaster is flaking in places. Plus it looks like the tech didn't rinse the inlets and light well enough, so acid trickled out of them, leaving streaks of etched plaster. It appears rust from the light stained the plaster as well.

My question is, how big a deal is this? Is this damage the normal result of acid washing, or did the tech do excessive damage to the plaster? What should I do about it?

I've attached some pics of the damage. Take note none of the damage was present before the acid wash. In fact the plaster was very smooth, albeit stained.

Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• 2016-04-01 18.19.01.jpg
    2016-04-01 18.19.01.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 2016-04-01 18.08.27.jpg
    2016-04-01 18.08.27.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2016-04-02 11.55.10.jpg
    2016-04-02 11.55.10.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 68
Do you have any pictures from when the pool was new? What color WAS the plaster?

What were your last test results? How was it tested?

Sorry for questions instead of answer but I hope they will lead to better answers.

Kim

Do you have any pictures from when the pool was new? What color WAS the plaster?

What were your last test results? How was it tested?

Sorry for questions instead of answer but I hope they will lead to better answers.

Kim

Sorry I don't have good answers for those. I bought the house/pool when it was 8 years old so I never saw it new. I believe the original color was white with blue speckled grains mixed in.

Not sure what test you're referring to but since the pool company handles the chems I don't know what any reading were. I do know the calcium was high, which is why it was drained and washed in the first place.

I've attached a couple pics from right before the acid wash if that helps...

url]

I am sorry to say this but without current test results from a GOOD test kit there is really nothing we can tell you. We base our teaching on good test results. It tells us everything we need to know about a pool. :(

Kim

I understand, I assume my pool rep can provide the results upon request. I'll call them and ask about it, and I'll probably bring up the severe etching at that time as well. I just wanted to know if I had a leg to stand on before arguing with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.