Replacing Filter Questions...

Dec 9, 2013
Wakefield Ma
Lost pool filter to an early freeze while I was out of the country.

Now Im looking to replace the filter unit and the plumbing around it. The Pump is a Pentair Whisperflo Dual Speed Up Rate 1 HP Pump

It was an older hayward ec65 de... I'd like to possibly make it a bit bigger this time.

Any suggestions on upsizing this filter to give me less frequent clean ups so when I leave the country the wife and her parents don't have to clean out frequently.

Also any tips on cleaning out the main drain it seems to be clogged with leaves and some dirt. I was thinking of just using a drain king and stuffing the sucker as far down the pipe as I could. Worst case I guess my freind is a diver and I can have him unscrew and clean out from the inside of the pool.

Hayward now has the EC65 as seen here at Amazon.com : Hayward EC65A D.E. Complete Pool Filter : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Inserts : Patio, Lawn Garden, and they also have the slightly larger EC75 as seen here at Amazon.com : Hayward EC75A Perflex Pool Filter : Swimming Pool De Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden. Something that may be a benefit is that with Hayward replacement parts, the fitting should be the same size. Others who have installed DE filters may have more input for you. HERE is the manual if you would like to read in advance.

Pentair also has a full line of very nice DE filters. They provide "FNS" and "Quad DE" filters. I know the quad DE have become quite popular with many. HERE is the Pentair DE page.

I am not sure if your stuck on a DE filter, they have a much better filtering than any other filter but as you have seen that can be it downfall... I went with a cartridge filter as a happy medium and no need (you can install 1) for backwash. it has saved me hundreds of gallons of water not backwashing..

I only clean mine 1 time a year in the fall when closing, with your size pool I would go with the huge 520 filter, it is more expensive up fron than a DE filter but no need to buy DE or anything else to start using it, you could by another set of pleatco filters if you want, I plan on buying some next year.

Amazon.com : Pentair 160332 Clean Garden

I can't remember seeing a thread with the suggestion that a pump is too small but I think yours is. An uprated 1 hp is about like a 3/4 HP full rated and is not a good match for that big pool.

A Full rated 1 HP or even a 1.5 full rated would be a better choice. My first pick would be a full rated 1.5 HP 2 speed.

Then you need a filter to match. If you are leaving the pool care in the hands of inexperienced folks, I would suggest a sand or cartridge filter. They are probably the easiest to manage. Bigger is better. Something rated for around 100 GPM would be my choice.

The issue there is it runs about 16 hours a day, so the local pool guys said it would cut power consumption, since we use solar panels we had to down size the pump a bit.

On the next rebuild of the pool either next year or after the pool is being down sized to a 20 K. By adding a shallow area for the little ones.

Hayward now has the EC65 as seen here at Amazon.com : Hayward EC65A D.E. Complete Pool Filter : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Inserts : Patio, Lawn Garden, and they also have the slightly larger EC75 as seen here at Amazon.com : Hayward EC75A Perflex Pool Filter : Swimming Pool De Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden. Something that may be a benefit is that with Hayward replacement parts, the fitting should be the same size. Others who have installed DE filters may have more input for you. HERE is the manual if you would like to read in advance.

Pentair also has a full line of very nice DE filters. They provide "FNS" and "Quad DE" filters. I know the quad DE have become quite popular with many. HERE is the Pentair DE page.

I was looking at the quad DE, It seems like a pretty good unit. Thanks for the input.

I am not sure if your stuck on a DE filter, they have a much better filtering than any other filter but as you have seen that can be it downfall... I went with a cartridge filter as a happy medium and no need (you can install 1) for backwash. it has saved me hundreds of gallons of water not backwashing..

I only clean mine 1 time a year in the fall when closing, with your size pool I would go with the huge 520 filter, it is more expensive up fron than a DE filter but no need to buy DE or anything else to start using it, you could by another set of pleatco filters if you want, I plan on buying some next year.

Amazon.com : Pentair 160332 Clean Garden

Talked with Wife it looks like this is where we are going... Questions...

do I need to buy a pressure gauge with it ? and do the cartridges also come in the package ?

It comes with everything you need, the pressure gauge and filters are both included... You can, if you want get the pleatco filters and a glyciran filled pressure gauge, but that is an upgrade if you want :)

I love mine, the 520 is huge, I am the type of person that lets a person know before buying.. Because they are huge at the end of the season it will take about 20 minutes for each of the 4 filters to clean them, but its so worth not messing with them untill needed.. remember, 25% rise above your normal high speed pressure reading.. dont use the neat little "guide" on the pressure gauge...

Just so you know, my 320 goes from 13 psi to 14 psi, in a little over 4 months :) and that is running about 8 hours a day....

hope that helps

Talked with Wife it looks like this is where we are going... Questions...

do I need to buy a pressure gauge with it ? and do the cartridges also come in the package ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.