Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-Rite pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-Rite pump

When I turn my pump off to empty the strainer basket small amounts of water shoots out around the oring from the back pressure before I unscrew the lid. The oring looks ok and I never lose prime or have any other problems with the pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta-Rite pump

Welcome to TFP!!

Lots of pumps do this and it isn't a problem as long as the gasket doesn't allow air into the pump while running 8)

Any chance of posting some pics of your pool and system - WE LOVE PICS

Thanks for joining us here and for caring enough about your pool to come here
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I must say this site is awesome. If you cant find the answer here you wont find it anywhere.

4. Back To Top    #4

I dont think it is letting any air in. When it kicks on it starts right up and doesnt lose any prime. Just wanted to make sure just got the pool installed last fall 18x36 vinyl with slide and diving board. I have 7yo twins a boy and girl and they are water rats.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, I'd doubt you'd have an issue with the pump lid, but had to mention the possibility 8)

Enjoy the pool and your kids Before you realize it, you'll be worrying about... umm... 'interactions' with their peers (my daughter turns 12 in 3 weeks and I'm thinking she should be locked in a tower for the next 8 years )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

I've had that happen the odd time. Lubricate the o-ring. You'll find the lid goes on a bit tighter that way and then probably no water shooting out.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Agreed with all above! I might add that such a symptom is classic for a Sta-Rite Duraglass. It is pretty much standard with that pump model.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

8. Back To Top    #8

Many pumps are designed specifically to do this so you don't really want to prevent this from happening. The reason they do this is that when a pump is turned off, there is a lot of energy in the water movement that if contained could damage the impeller or other parts of the pump. The pump lid is designed to be negative pressure sealed and when the pump is turned off the positive pressure wave created by the water is dissipated through the lid.

This is usually an indication of a good suction design since water flow is high and head loss is low allowing the pressure wave to reach the pump. So in a way, this is a good sign although it may be a bit unnerving.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater