Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Single suction pump question.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Cape Coral, FL

Single suction pump question.

I have had this pool over a year (older house, new to me) and have had it re plastered and re tiled...yet one thing still evades me.

Single suction pool. I have my skimmer, two holes on the bottom, one with suction line and the other hole to the main drain. Am I (or can I) have a plate or anything that would help split the surface skimmer portion to also pull from the main drain?

When I vacuum the pool I let the head sit over the top of the main drain for a bit, but I am doubting that does anything, and I can imagine all off the crud that builds up in there. I cant see how just being near the suction hole would provide enough lift to pull anything from the bottom of the pool to the top of the skimmer.

Thank you for your help in advanced. I have searched but all answers seem to end up with people not knowing the main drain was connected to the pump, mine is not.
    13k Gallon IG plaster W/ aggregate finish, re plastered 7/17/15 . Offset rectangle.
    1.5hp 1 speed pump and roughly 100 sqft cartridge filter that will/ need to be replaced in near future.
    TF-100 test kit w/ speedstir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Single suction pump question.

You need a skimmer/main drain diverter. Here is a picture of the most common one. Most pool stores should have it.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Single suction pump question.

What happens if you hold your weir door shut? That should force the flow to come from the drain line.

Here is a skimmer diverter. Find out which skimmer you have, sometimes it is on the underside of the lid.
    Pentair Bermuda Skimmer Float Valve Assembly 506160 | Pentair 506160
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach