Aug 9, 2015
Glendale , Az.
FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.8-7.2 ???
TA 100
CYA 50
CH 300
TEMP 68 Hello all...Happy Spring....Started bleach dosing with a stenner last Sept...CYA was 80..and was losing about 2-2.5 ppm /day of
CL...Over the winter i drained about 80% to get the CYA down to 50 where it is now..The problem i have now is i'm losing about 5ppm from one evening to the next...Did my OCLT and it is 0 numerous times..Been adding acid all winter to keep the PH in
check about 16- 32 oz./week of 14.5%..But my TA is still really high and the past week when i check the PH it reads 7.8 and
the longer i leave it in the test vial the lower it gets..Goes down to about 7.2....I'm stumped???? Shouldn't the TA have come
down being i added acid all winter long??? I never had this happen with the PH before...All reagents are fresh as well..:confused:

Pool School has a great article on how to lower TA.

Far more important is your FC loss which suggests organics(algae) in your pool. I cannot reconcile that with the zero OCLT results unless there is a testing error somewhere.

How's your water look? What's your outside temperature? How much sun is the pool getting a day?

Maybe you need to raise your CYA to find a sweet spot. Raise it 10 ppm and see how your FC does for a week or so. Maybe FC will hold better with CYA at 60 or 70.

Each pool is so different. Our guidelines are just that guidelines......do some personal testing to see what YOUR pool likes the best and go from there. Keeping a log will be your best helper for finding your pool's sweet spot!

Kim

being in AZ I think you were good with a CYA at 70 or so, lowering it I think is why you are seeing the CL being used during the day and not at night.. That is the only thing that makes sense from what your saying...

TA will lower slowly the way your adding it, add when PH reads 7.5 down to 7.2 as much as you can, it will go fast at first but then slow down as the TA gets lower..

being in AZ I think you were good with a CYA at 70 or so, lowering it I think is why you are seeing the CL being used during the day and not at night.. That is the only thing that makes sense from what your saying...

TA will lower slowly the way your adding it, add when PH reads 7.5 down to 7.2 as much as you can, it will go fast at first but then slow down as the TA gets lower..
You lost me on this part...I've been adding acid all winter like i said...but the ph test goes from 7.8 to 7.2 when i agitate the the test cell..so i dont know what the ph actually is??

So now I am confused

Your saying your PH starts at 7.8 then goes down to 7.2.. what are you using to test? does it go down after it sits? look at this video at the 2 minute mark, is this what yours looks like?

Pool School - pH Test

here is what I was talking about lowering TA
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

:scratch:
So now I am confused

Your saying your PH starts at 7.8 then goes down to 7.2.. what are you using to test? does it go down after it sits? look at this video at the 2 minute mark, is this what yours looks like?
Yes thats exactly how it looks after about a minute or two sitting in the test cell..it starts out at 7.6 to 7.8 then it goes down to 7.2.. I'm using the same test cell as in the vid..I think you're right on the CYA i have 2 lbs of dichlorshock in the garage i'll dump in tonight to bring up the cya 10-11 ppm..maybe the CL will hold better..Thx Casey...............
Pool School - pH Test

here is what I was talking about lowering TA
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok, I have never let it sit.. you should be reading it right after it is mixed and that is what you are at.. What is your TA at now?

Adding the dichlor will work but it will also raise your FC, from the sounds of it that will not be a bad thing if your losing 5fc a day :)

ok i gotcha..dont let it sit...last year my cya was 200+ so i've been dumping water whenever i can..i guess i went too low with the az sun and all....I'll dump the 2 bottles of granular dichlor in tonight..and see if my FC holds any better...Like i said i did oclt 2 nights in a row with 0 CC so i think you're right about the low cya of 50 and the all day sun on the pool..My TA is at 100 which is where its been for some time.even after adding aciod all winter...maybe i'll try the acid/aeration thing to lower it..see if it stabilizes the PH a little more......thx for your help Casey....:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.