Red 'wigglies' and too much shock?

The pool store is just guessing (kind of like us)...to be off a few hundred gallons is no big deal...I would go by your manual (it's more conservative).

We are glad to help...we do like pics though so if we could get one of the pool once it's all sparkly...we like those :party:

Its more important for you to know your gallonage, so that when you put your numbers into the Pool Calculator, you get the correct dosage instructions.

The pool store may recommend some kind of chemical, and they might base their dosing instructions on the incorrect number, so feel free to correct them but always check with us before you buy a chemical they might recommend. :wink:

Thanks, that makes sense. I have a ton of chemicals that the previos owners left. It's been rainning here all morning so, I'm going to wait until it stops to get the sample to the pool store. It looks clearer- but does rain water raise or lower the ph?? Thanks for you help-- I can't wait to post sparkling pictures!!

If the pool is uncovered, and it's a good steady rain, you could possibly see a slight rise in PH from aeration by the rain drops. Not very likely rain would affect PH very much either way, unless the rain was low and ph and we were talking monsoon rains that diluted the pool with several inches of rain.

HAAHA! not that kinda rain- thank goodness! We just returned from the pool store but couldn't have the test done bc their computer was down!!:( I left the water and they said they woudl call with the results when it comes back up- I'm disappointed~ I tested it with the Walmart kit and it looks like ph was 7.8 and chl was still high but closer to yellow! I'm going to vacuum and some more water then I'll be back with more results! This is hard work but I'm still determined!

Okay, now I'm in a pickle! The pool store's computer still isn't fixed they said I could bring another sample tomorrow :( So, I tested with the strips - Free Chlorine is a different green than what shows on the strips but I'm thinking possibly above 10- Ph around 7.2-7.6 and Total Alkalinity around 120-150 (more towards 120)then, I tested with the drop kit from Walmart Chlorine is bright yellow - close to 5 and ph is about 7.2-- Now what??? Do I stop here and cover before I leave for the weekend or should I add bleach / acid? Thanks frustratedpoolmom- don't leave me now- !! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
your salt should be in the 2500-3500 range. Intex calls 3000ppm "ideal". I know you've had some water replacement, but I would wait until you get the test results. The number you gave me doesn't make sense (maybe typo?). Once you get the pool store results, plug it into Jason's calculator your current salt level and then your target level and it will tell you how many lbs...FYI...your last results stated salt at 3500ppm, given I do not know how much water you have replaced, I can;t even guess the current level.

ty...sorry did not realize you were using the saltcheck strips...FYI, levels should be posted in terms of ppm to be safe and ensure consistent information flow. Someone could have easily assumed an almost zero level of salt and told you to add 100lbs of salt.

If you are at 2340ppm (3750 gallons) I would add 20lbs to get you back around 3000ppm...25lbs will get you to around 3200 ppm. If you still need to vacum to waste, hold of fon adding salt until you clean the pool bottom...you would just be adding salt and pouring it right back out into your yard.

Now that you are getting the hang of this :goodjob: , try using the poolcalculator to see if you can get similar suggestions as compared to my advice...as you build confidence in being able to estimate chemical additions, you'll become more efficient in not having to wait for a reply from someone every time you need to add chems.

Good luck with the trip!

first, I would like to say thank you to everyone that tried to hlep me with getting the pool on track, next I would like to say I think someone is trying to tell me that I just don't need a pool!!!!!!!!!!! I went out added my 2 cups of bleach with the pump running, place the cover ( it statrted pouring down rain with lightening) got the cover on started running back inside and like a bomb th e top ring had deflated and water was going every where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta be jokin........ now what........... this is really some kinda day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh...you have to be joking right? I am so sorry to hear that....well one suggestion would be is if it is a small hole...you can try to repair...I hope and fill with fresh water...but otherwise all is not lost...since you now have the knowledge and some equipment..wally world sells some pretty inexpensive metal frame pools...we picked one up last year for the summer for $129...believe it was a 12 or 15' round...they also have similar ones like yours for about $100....again sorry to hear the news :(

Okay, after a good long cry........ I've decided to try to patch the area after seaching how to patch, (if I can locate it and keep going) I also have decide that I need the id of frustratedpoolmom!!!!!!!!!
dmanb2 and frustratedpoolmom you guys are the best!~ I'll let ya know the results!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband is dead when he gets home!!!

OKay- patched and waiting to see if it holds!! In the mean time- my results by Walmart kit are - Cl bright yellow so 5 or above and ph 7.2-7.4- I'm dropping off another sample to the pool store- and then off to the beach for the weekend!! I'll let you know how things are when I return- please keep your fingers crossed!! Thanks a million!! You guys being there and giving me advice is what's keeping me determined!! frustratedpoolmom, thanks fro sharing the ID!! :-D )

ellisongirls said:
OKay- patched and waiting to see if it holds!! In the mean time- my results by Walmart kit are - Cl bright yellow so 5 or above and ph 7.2-7.4- I'm dropping off another sample to the pool store- and then off to the beach for the weekend!! I'll let you know how things are when I return- please keep your fingers crossed!! Thanks a million!! You guys being there and giving me advice is what's keeping me determined!! frustratedpoolmom, thanks fro sharing the ID!! :-D )

How much water did you lose? The intex pool ring should not do that...I have to admit I was pretty rough on mine...or at least my kids were. I know these things could happen but it really shouldn't...Did the patch hold up after the weekend? If it did you really should be good to go with it then...I would even suggest double patching...Put a larger patch over the initial patch just to make sure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.