Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water height on 14 foot 42 inch Intex Ultra - do I have to fill it up all the way?-

1. Back To Top    #1

Water height on 14 foot 42 inch Intex Ultra - do I have to fill it up all the way?-

Hello, I read that the water height is about 36 inches on the 42 inch Intex Ultra. Does anyone know if one would be able to not fill it up all the way? My daughter is not quite tall enough yet for that. I wanted to see how much wiggle room there is with the water height (i'm thinking the inlet level would be the limitation right?). I'd rather not buy a whole new pool next year just for a few inches. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water height on 14 foot 42 inch Intex Ultra - do I have to fill it up all the way

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

I think it will be fine as longs as the pump gets water.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water height on 14 foot 42 inch Intex Ultra - do I have to fill it up all the way

The inlet should be covered by a few inches of water so if it gets rowdy, the pump doesn't suck air.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

You do not have to fill it up all the way, I had the same situation with my youngest. I wanted to go lower than the return, so I created my own adaptor from PVC, works great. In my sig. is my pool build. If you want I can take some measurements for you just let me know ... You have to stay above the pump inlets but that will not be an issue for you. The reason I didn't want the return to be above the water (We don't swim with the pump on) was that when the pump was on, I didn't want to aerate the water causing chemistry issues. If needed I can give you some instructions on how I built the adaptor for the return.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Titleistseemore. I took a look at your build, and that sounds like exactly the plan I'm looking for. Would you be able to describe the instructions for building the adapter, and maybe a list of the fittings you used? Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

The return fitting that comes with the pool has a plastic strainer that you screw off, I then took the fitting with me to Lowes. At lowes I found a ABS (Black Plastic) Bell reducer that fit in between the 2 threads on the return fitting (once you take off the plastic strainer you'll see), The bell reducer fit the 1 1/2" pipe (I used large pipe as to not restrict flow), the pipe was regular PVC. I then used Abs glue for the bell reducer to the intex return fitting as well as gluing on the PVC parts. This is not a pressure fitting. That was all there was to it. If you need better pictures just let me know and I will snap a few
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.

7. Back To Top    #7

I did use a 90 degree PVC elbow so that the piece was as close to the pool wall as possible.

The water is a little cloudy, in the midst of slamming the pool from the winter storage. As you can see in the photo I actually used 2" pipe instead of the 1 1/2" that I previously stated. The project from start to end was almost nothing to complete ...

The white threaded part next to the pool wall is the actual intex adaptor with the screen removed (Screws off easily), Then the ABS (Black plastic Pipe) Bell Reducer, then a small piece of 2" PVC pipe, then the 2" to 2" 90 degree elbow (I used the 90 degree to keep the fitting as close to the wall as possible, then a 2" piece of pipe cut to the length you think you need (without measuring it, the piece looks about 1 foot long), I then used a 2" by 2" 45 degree elbow so that there was no sharp edges for the kids to bump into (The cut pipe even when I sanded it, was the finished look that I wanted and I thought someone could get scratched). The gaskets and other parts are just the intex parts that come with the pool, very simple to build.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a photo from last year ...

You can see the 45 degree elbow at the end of the pipe ...
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.

9. Back To Top    #9

One more thing to add that I remembered during my research last year, it doesn't apply since you are installing a round pool. I read that on the rectangular intex pool have to be filled all the way up or the will likely collapse. Not an issue with the round intex pools.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you so much for your help! That looks like it works perfect. Great job, and thanks for sharing the knowledge!