Filter sending plume back into pool after backwashing ...

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
I have another thread under ALGAE PREVENTION as I had an ammonia issue almost 3 weeks ago and although my pool has been crystal clear for almost 2 weeks, I cannot seem to pass OCLT. Everything has been removed from pool. Then today I notice the plume. Maybe this has been effecting my OCLT not passing? So when I have to backwash and go thru the filter settings I'm not by the return when I switch back to filter. But earlier I noticed that when I turned it back on filter I could see a plume entering the pool thru the return for about 30 seconds, then it was clear. When I backwash - I turn off the pump, switch the multiport to backwash, turn pump back on low and watch the clear tube for it to run clear (generally takes a couple minutes). Then I turn off pump, switch multiport to rinse, turn pump back on low and repeat watching for the clear tube to run clear (generally takes a minute or so) . Then I turn off pump, switch multiport back to filter, turn pump back on high. When I noticed the plume I turned off the pump and got a black sock and held it over the return but the plume went right thru the sock and the sock didn't catch anything. However, even if something is reentering the pool, wouldn't it be dead by now from being at shock level for weeks? UGH. No idea what to check on the filter. Thoughts??? Thanks as always!!!

Back again with another riddle? :) Sand filters have the same basic components starting at the multiport valve, into the housing itself, a stand-up tube/pipe, some laterals, and perhaps a vent tube. If you think the plume was sand, then that would mean sand is getting past the filter via a bad spider gasket in the multiport valve, the valve itself, or perhaps one of the laterals in the housing is cracked or became separated from the vertical tube. But that would be for sand only. If you suspect the plume is more fine/cloudy and not sand-related, then it could just be residual dead organic material. It is important during the SLAM to backwash your filter frequently to remove much of the dead algae. Perhaps that's the issue. Your water (on the other post) is absolutely crystal, but to not pass the OCLT is still puzzling. No question that the proper FC you have been using, based on the current CYA in your other thread, will eliminate live algae.

My pool is sooo sparkly! but I'm not stopping SLAM until I pass that darn OCLT. I don't think it was sand since the sock caught nothing, had to be super fine. I realized yesterday my pressure gauge quit so I replaced it. We shall see if I need to backwash more often. I think I've fished about 20lbs of oak pollen off the top today, it's ridiculous! Hopefully the plume stops and I pass OCLT soon!!! I'm wiping out Lowe's of liquid chlorine and going broke. But still so much cheaper than if I was being pool stored.

Today's ridiculous wind isn't helping either. Woo! On a side note ... do you have a skimmer sock in your skimmer to catch the junk off the water's surface? I couldn't remember. It saves a lot of trash from going all the way to the filter. If not, let us know. Have a nice weekend.

Maybe slightly off topic but when I slam my pool I do not have this issue of a plume of anything coming from my returns. I DO HAVE THIS ISSUE during pollen season. It gets very thick here in SC especially being in the center of 26 acres that is predominantly pine. It is so thick here our cars turn greenish yellow with dust. We have footprints on our screened in porch in the pollen. During this pollen drop, I do get plumes or clouds of it coming from my returns after a backwash.

I just wait until it is done dropping pollen time and clean pool and maybe add DE to filter.

Could this be pollen?

I haven't had to backwash again yet. We shall see. I live on 10 acres with a bunch of oak trees around the pool and it is crazy right now and windy and cold. Btw 10% liquid chlorine for $2.50 at the Walmart in Schertz and it's dated recently. Can't beat that!!!

A quick question to add to this thread (because I've had similar problems last summer). Do you also get a plume going back into your pool if you simply turn off the pump for say a count of 20 and then turn it back on? I've had that issue and noticed a broken part in the filter head when checking the gasket (I'm going to start a separate thread on this). Just putting it out there that it could be a mechanical issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.